DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some good 37" off road tires and found the Mickey Thompson Baja Claws that are sort of in my price range.
The Baja Claw Radial is almost $100 more per tire than the Polyester/Fiberglass Belted claw. Would those 2 tires ride a lot different? My truck sits a lot (1-2 weeks) so I was wondering if that would make a real ruff ride if I had the belted tires. Would the belted tire wear out faster than the radial?

Heres a link to the tires (belted): http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=TIR&prodline=3246&catName=&man=MTT
37x13.5-16LT

Radial: http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=TIR&prodline=3244&catName=&man=MTT
LT325/80R16 (37x13.5R16LT)

If you can think of any other tire let me know. I want a tire that is meant for deep wet snow and is in a 16" rim.
Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would go with a radial if you do a fair bit of highway driving and stuff like that. If the truck sits for a bit the belted will make for a rough ride untill it smooths out

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
The one thing I do not like about those tires is that they are "directional" and limit your rotating choices to just "front to rear", and you need two spares mounted opposite of each other. FWIW

There is a new tire on the market (I have the 295 version which is a 34") called Hankook Dynapro MT that work excellent in snow/loose gravel etc....

I got mine at Discount Tire for $166.00 a tire in my size and I think the 315/75/r16 which is a 35" tire was $174.00 per tire. If you have a Discount Tire close by, stop in and check them out. They ride awesome on road as they are extremely quiet for a MT, and off road in loose gravel and snow/ice they have great traction. I was hesitant to buy them because I had never heard of them before but I am a believer now. FWIW

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If you're truck is sitting for a week or two at a time and you do go with the bias ply tire, you're going to be thrown around in your truck until the "flat" spots in the tires make them selves round again. That won't be until they warm up. And if you're driving in snow, that might take a while.

I know the added money for the radial tires hurts (really really bad). But in my experience, it's worth every penny in ride quality. Even if this truck is something you only use to get you to and from the deer stands, or weekend cabin, or whatever, you're probably better off with the radials. I consider bias tires for a vehicle that sees the vast majority of its time in the nasty stuff, and NOT on road.

Check out some of the Super Swamper tires for a "cheap" radial. I'm riding around on the Trxus M/T's right now because they were the cheapest radial I could find in a 37. Also check out the Cooper SS/T, good, cheap, radial. I know BFG makes a 37" radial in both the M/T and A/T, but I'm not sure if they're available for the 16" wheel. Definitly worth checking out!

Good luck!

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone. I probably won't get the claws then since they are directional. That's something I didn't even think of. I would do a lot of backing up. From looking at the tread on those tires I thought they would do real good both ways.
I will get a radial tire also.
Do the swamper tires do well in the snow? I don't know anyone who runs them so I haven't been able to get any feed back on that. They seem like the tread isn't very aggressive compared to the Baja claws.
The cooper sst's were my first choice 01_OffRoad, until I got quoted over $350 a tire at my local tire shop. I have the older version of the Cooper sst's (33's) and they were awesome in the snow and mud. Too bad they switched the design and stopped making the ones I have.
I don't care how much road noise the tires make as long as I can get around 30K out of them.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Just about any Swamper tire short of the Bogger will get you 30,000 miles. Check out the Super Swamper Irok's. I can't say enough good things about this tire. They have radial and bias ply (should you change your mind and decide to go bias), plus every size imaginable. I had the 33x13.50R17's and LOVED them. I slap myself every time I think about saving $10 per tire by going with the Trxus M/T's instead.

Ummm..... we don't get much snow in Houston. Sorry.... can't help ya there. :)

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did just get hammered with rain. Water up to the doors would be cool to see. How did your swampers do in the mud? I would think mud and snow would be about the same.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Believe it or not, I wasn't out in the water to play. I was really helping people out. I didn't throw mud or water around like I very well could have. People tend to get pissed when you send a huge wake into their house.

I can tell you this though. The tires and the truck in general did everything I needed or asked it to do. When I was pulling out a Honda Accord, I had to go through their front yard to do it. The grass/mudd pit/yard was very soft, but the tires dug down into solid ground and never stopped working. Never caked, but that's probably because there was 30+ inches of water to wash 'em off.

The Trxus M/T has got to be one of the mildest Super Swamper tires. The only one I can think of thats more mild would be the Trxus A/T and the Super Swamper Thornbird (stay far, far away from those).

Best SS tire I've ever had in the mud has been the LTB, but they're bias ply and not in your size (never owned Boggers). The best all roud SS tire I've ever had was the Irok. Surprisingly quiet (for a SS tire) on the road, and absolutely kicked arse off road. I think I remember reading the Irok was designed with mud, snow, and rocks in mind.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks. I am getting prices on the SS now. It's not looking good for me though. Still it's nothing compared to the prices of 4.5" lift kits. Shipping is allmost more than 1/2 the cost of the lift.

·
Ram x2
398 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Irok's are a directional tread too FWIW. They have always been a visual favorite of mine though, even though I have no personal experience with them as far as performance goes.

For snow performance, it's hard to beat the BFG mud terrains, although snow and ice are a different story and they suck on the ice.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking of the bfg's but they don't sell the size I want in a 16" rim only a 17".

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
FWIW, I've never rotated tires with all that criss crossing business. Front to back has always been good enough for me. Wear happens when you turn. You only turn two wheels at a time. Granted, all tires are moving when you turn, but unless you're making NASCAR circles, you should have even wear on your tires buy just going front to back.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might want to look into the Maxxis Creapy Crawler. Its the best offroad tire I've had but they Don't last long on the highway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the baja claw radials and have been happy with them. They do have some road noise but your gonna get that with about any off road tire, and the do awesome off road. Rocks, mud, water, sand, you name it they can handle it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
mikeah169 said:
I have the baja claw radials and have been happy with them. They do have some road noise but your gonna get that with about any off road tire, and the do awesome off road. Rocks, mud, water, sand, you name it they can handle it.
I have the same tires and todally agree with this, but they are NOT good on ice, and compared to a lot of other tires they are pretty quiet.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll look into those tires also. I'll probably end up going with what ever is the cheapest. I don't care about road noise. I would actually like to have a tire that is very loud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.