DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Did you have mileage problems before your tune-up? If not I suspect a bad plug or something got knocked loose during the process.

Yes... see the 4.7l is really working to get all that mass moving when unloaded and with stock wheels and tires....

Heavy wheels and larger tires not only take more power to get moving....they also lower ( Numerically --- 3.92 to say 3.55 gear ratio ) your final gear ratio causing more work to be done to accomplish the same task!

This along with a tune up would cause some drastic fuel mileage issues. Every 50 pounds you add to your truck will cause a % loss to your mileage....so clean her out, wash her off, and tune her up.....
boostjunkie1,

Seems like a little 4.7 bashing going on. My 4.7 has and still is serving me well and I tow commercially. I would buy another. Fuel mileage is not going to be a lot different unless you believe your overhead.

Ridge High 533,

I’m sure your 32” tires are kicking your ass. Gearing could put you back to where the factory started or even better.

A lot of the comments on general maintenance are true, but in the real world is there something else wrong? These trucks are not fuel economy champs!

No..... It's just a fact of HP-TQ Compared to weight!

** I have owned a Dakota with the 4.7L ..... Durango with it..... and my Twin Brother had a 2004 2wd RAM, and now owns a 2006 4.7L, 4X4, LB with it.... Great motors no doubt.... They just have to work a little harder to do the same amount of work when all of your running gear is the same compared to a larger engine. The Dakota was a pulling BEAST with that motor! I put 80,000 HARD miles towing a RANGER Bass Boat all around the East Coast with it and never had one engine or tranny issue at all! The brakes were crap...but aftermarket fixed that!

SO.... No Bashing on the 4.7L mill....... Power to weight ratio is just it!

I do not know about the 2002's but on my 03 the o2's sensor wires are nickel or alluminum upto the connector, then its all copper the rest of the way to the other connections. Sometimes mixing these metals in a connection can lead to extreme corrosion of the pins and both sides of the wires at the point where they meet. Something to look into. goodluck

are u going by the milage computer? was it recallibrated for the tire size?

i get 13.5 ish with all the stuff i have done

I cleaned my EGR and PCV valves today. Didn't seem too bad but I figured what the heck, truck has about 59,000mi on it so I figured it couldn't hurt. Maybe I'll pick up some better fuel mileage. Whole job only took about 30 min. Dont lose/forget to put the gaskets back on for the EGR valve!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.