DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my durango for about 2 years now and for as long as I can remember I have been getting pretty horrible gas milage. The little headliner display says that I am getting right around 10.1 MPG. I talked to a guy at the gas station a few months ago with the exact same year/engine size D as me and he said he was getting 14-17 City and 17+ freeway. I mostly dirve the city as well, even if I get on the freeway its only for 3-5 miles. Any help/ideas would be great!

My brother has a 01 Jeep GC with the same 4.7 and he was also getting 17+ before he put on his 4" lift with 32.5's.

Also my D is stock except for a K&N drop in and an Magnoflow muffler.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The little headliner display says that I am getting right around 10.1 MPG.
What is your ACTUAL mpg, not what the lie-o-meter says?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No clue...Never really ever thought to keep track of it. Maybe ill go that and get back to you!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I would checked it by hand calculations not the onboard computer to make sure as had been suggested. Also, it looks like you have a lift and large tires, those 2 will hurt fuel economy. The higher the truck, the more wind resistance. The larger and heavier the wheels and tires, the more hp needed to get going and thus a penalty on fuel economy, especially if you're in city stop and go traffic. Heavy rims/tires don't effect fuel economy as much once on the highway traveling at a steady speed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will hand calculate the MGP here soon. I only have the T/S lift with stock size rims and the stock 31x10.5's that came on the truck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Reset the overhead meter, mine is real close + or - Half a MPG when compared to actual numbers. Plus if you are ram rodding it....forget gas mileage, it ain't happening!

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
If your hand calculated mileage isn't much better than what the overhead states, I'd look into getting your O2 sensors replaced. With the -30 temps lately my last tank was a mere 10.4mpg or around 23L/100km. That's with a lot of idling as well with split city/hwy driving. On a good day my 360 will get around 13-15mpg average. Your 4.7 should easily get 14-15. Oh, my computer actually understates my actual mileage. Lately my hand calculated mileage is better than what my OH states by around 5%. To calculate properly, I allow the nozzle to automatically shut off twice so I don't squeeze in excess fuel which will fudge up the numbers.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If your hand calculated mileage isn't much better than what the overhead states, I'd look into getting your O2 sensors replaced. With the -30 temps lately my last tank was a mere 10.4mpg or around 23L/100km. That's with a lot of idling as well with split city/hwy driving. On a good day my 360 will get around 13-15mpg average. Your 4.7 should easily get 14-15. Oh, my computer actually understates my actual mileage. Lately my hand calculated mileage is better than what my OH states by around 5%. To calculate properly, I allow the nozzle to automatically shut off twice so I don't squeeze in excess fuel which will fudge up the numbers.
Good point about the 02 sensors and they would certainly effect fuel mileage for the worse once they started to get lazy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Good point about the 02 sensors and they would certainly effect fuel mileage for the worse once they started to get lazy.
So could old spark plugs. When was the last time they were changed?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
There is an abundance of things that effect fuel mileage. Spark plugs, wires, tire inflation, tires out of alignment, air filter bad, worn out transmission, brakes dragging even the slightest bit, o2 sensors, catalytic converters clogging, build up in the intake. You can try additives, or go through with routine maintenance. Replacing and checking all the items listed above.

·
Todd O
933 Posts
Do a tune up and buy some copper spark plugs. If you have an electric fan removing your clutch fan and wiring in a fan relay will help alot too. One thing that might be unbelievable but switching to mobil1 0w30 fuel saver synthetic(whatever it's called) helped out my gas mileage. I get around 15 city and around 20 on the highway. The superchips helped some but before all of that I would do a tune up and get some good ngk copper plugs. They only last about 30k miles but they are less than 2 bucks and save a lot on gas. Now before anybody blasts me this is just my opinion with what I have done and experienced with my 4.7.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lets see, I keep my tires inflated properly as I got them at Les Schaw and take it in every three months for rotation/balance/inflation. also, my alignment is perfect dispite how I beat on the truck. I also change my oil ever 3,000 (slacked some this time) and i have a K&N drop in filter that I clean every 3,000. As far as spark plugs I have never changed them from when I bought the truck back in 06 so who knows how old they are. i would assume that are decent shape but I could be wrong. i have only put 24k on it since I bought it. I'll change my plugs tomorrow and start the gas miliage count. Problme with that is that I am too poor to fill the truck full twice!

·
^BIG D^
2,283 Posts
In the winter I lose about 3-4MPG, so I average about 13MPG in the winter. In the summer I was averaging 16.5-17MPG. That is with lift and 33's and some engine mods of course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.