DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just dropped my truck off at the dealership, they agree that an injector is or going south or has already gone. They said that they had to perform some test then call Dodge with the results to get approval to fix it. I am supposed to hear from them later tonight.

Anybody know what test they do? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm sure they will try to determine if you have used a downloader or computer box of any kind. If they find something, they will try to void your warranty. I don't see anything in your signature that includes performance mods, so hopefully you'll be ok.
Let us know what they find...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well nothing since I have owned the truck, I bought it last year with 32,000 miles on it. Unfortunately I don't know its history before that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hemi Freak, how can they determine if you used to have a box? Is there a computer log of pressures and temps and stuff that would wave a red flag or something?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
From what I understand, there is some sort of log that is kept with info that they can dig deep to find out. Some of the programmers are easy to tell (by DC or Cummins) when you've had them, and others are more hidden.
I don't have any first hand knowledge of it, but that is what I've heard so take it for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What were the symptoms that you took it in for?

·
Registered
125 Posts
More than likely its a "pop" test. They remove the suspect injector, connect it to a bench system that provides the normal rail pressure- 20-25,000 psi then activate the coil and look at the spray pattern. If the injector is bad, it won't flow enough fuel, will have a poor pattern or won't operate at all. A fairly standard test, and for industrial engines is recommended annually.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
me1magoo said:
What were the symptoms that you took it in for?
It had an unusual noise(rattle, clatter...) coming from the engine when it was in drive or reverse, not the normal diesel engine noises. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
This summer we had an injector on the first cylinder or so clog up or something during a coast-to-coast road trip. It made the Teton Pass (10% grade) that we had to go through before it could be serviced interesting.

Since the engine only had about 15,000 miles miles at the time (of which about 8,000 were put on the week before) it was replaced no questions asked. It just took a lot of time to pull each injector and drop in a new one to see if the engine acted right under load. They didn't bother with a spray pattern test, and instead just replaced injectors until the engine ran correctly.

BTW, the symptoms my truck had was poor take-off in forward and reverse gear, and generally shaking below 1,500RPMs. My truck is the 6 speed manual tranny, incase yours is the same. Goodluck with the replacement / fix.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, heard from the dealer today, first they said that they couldn't get the truck to make the noise and they recommended an injector flush to see if it clears up the problem. I took a tech for a ride to warm the truck up since they weren't doing that then he heard the noise also. He said I probably have some carbon build up and recommended I run some CRC Diesel Fuel Conditioner thru it to see if that clears it up before I pay for the injector flush. He also said that Dodge wouldn't pay to replace an injector until everything else was tried first due to the cost of an injector.

He did tell me that on the 2003 trucks the test they have to run are pressure test on different parts of the fuel system, plus the obvious computer checks for performance boxes. On the 2004 and up truck they have programs in them to tell the techs how the injectors are firing as well as how the rest of the fuel system is working.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
thanks for the update. keep us posted.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I am assuming you are still under warranty, so if not disregard.

If there is aproblem with an injector, they should fix it. Wheather that means flushing or replacing or whatever. Not, let me sell you this snake oil, then if that doesn't fix it we'll cover you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well no change yet, I have run a full 30oz bottle of their recommended fuel system cleaner thru the truck using up about a tank and a half of diesel in the process. Tonight I changed my air filter and cleaned the mass air flow sensor (it looked kinda dirty). While I had the hood popped I checked the oil and noticed it was about an inch OVER the top of the safe zone, so tomorrow I am going to go to the shop that does my oil and show them how to read a dip stick then get them to drain some of the oil out. Not sure if this has anything to do with the noise I'm hearing but it bothers me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.