DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
bubbagoonboy
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had my truck long but it is my third vehicle and it is the only car that i have noticed gets worst gas mileage in the cold and i mean about half of what i usually get. Not sure if this is normal any input would be great.

·
Registered
379 Posts
my overhead said 6 deg yesterday and i was on the highway going beetween 60-65 and the overhead said between 16.5/18.0 it seems like it helped me but i also never drive that slow

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I went on a trip yesterday and my 02 Ram with a 360 in it was bad compaired to when it is warmer out. I was only averaging 14.2 to 15.4 Its has done way better on trips before. It was only 15 degrees here yesterday for a high.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
Winter fuel hurts your milage. Yes there is a winter blend for gasoline too. Another thing that hurts your milage is cold air. Cold air has more O2, to make up for the more O2 the engine pumps more fuel into the engine. That is a large part of why you are getting worse milage.

·
DirtRunner TreeDragger
895 Posts
Direct evidence
Nothing in or about the vehicle changed between these two instances:

last week in minus 22 F === i got 9.4 mpg
yesterday in plus 48 F === I got 14.4 mpg

as in sig I have a CAI and power wire.
Too much cold air equals bad gas mileage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine feels sluggish to but I think it has alittle water on the tank.I dumped acouple of bottles of Heet in it,so hope that will clear that up.And the tranny doesn't want the shift into overdrive until it gets warmed up.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine feels sluggish to but I think it has alittle water on the tank.I dumped acouple of bottles of Heet in it,so hope that will clear that up.And the tranny doesn't want the shift into overdrive until it gets warmed up.
If your using ethanol based fuel dont add more alcohol.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'm getting 9 but that's because I use a remote starter

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
i haven't taken notice to mileage in cold weather vs. warmer, but that is intersting.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Winter fuel hurts your milage. Yes there is a winter blend for gasoline too. Another thing that hurts your milage is cold air. Cold air has more O2, to make up for the more O2 the engine pumps more fuel into the engine. That is a large part of why you are getting worse milage.
Spot on...and it should create more power as well!

·
Ram n Ram Ram
1,384 Posts
So that explains it because I used to get 500 miles on my 35 gallon tank before i had to fill up now im only getting like 450 or so. Explains my 17.5 mpg drop to a 14.2 drop.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I think in real driving I was noticing a 3 MPG or so drop winter Vs. Summer

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
I usually drop 2-3 mpgs during the winter. With all the idling and what not it really kills your fuel mileage.

Install a block heater they work great. I also bought a Katz 300 watt oil pan heater and put on Lund cold fronts on my 02 Sport. I could plug the truck in over night and with in 2-3 minutes of warm up I'd be on my way. Before I installed this stuff, the truck would idle for 10mins.

I don't know about you guys but Dodge truck seem to be cold blooded suckers.

A friend has a 02 Chevy and that thing heats up faster than my 02 with all my stuff plugged in.

·
Certified M.D.
29 Posts
I would think that big of a drop in fuel mileage would be very uncommon. (i.e. get it looked at) unless you are letting your vehicle idle for 15-20 minutes everytime you start it. Most remote starters will turn the vehicle off after 15 min. of idling

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.