DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought my 2004 Dodge QuadCab 2WD to get new all season tires (Eagle LS tires suck in the NE!!) and the repair shop found a real loose left front wheel bearing (about 3/4 - 1" of play with the tire & wheel attached). it was so bad they wanted to tow it to the local Dodge dealer nearby. The truck has only 16K miles and just got a FE alignment back in early August. The problem was not seen then. There was no noticable attributes in driving the truck;except a clunk when truning sometimes. I'm amazed it did not show any other signs. The truck is sitting until I can get the bearing replaced on Monday.

Anyone else have this problem. Is there a TSB on this issue?

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
i have changed three in total, only one under warranty. They are only sold as a hub assembly which is a pain. The bearing is a Timken and I am in the process of obtaining a replacement for a spare i have sitting on my shelf. Im going to see if a bearing shop can extract the old one and press it with a new one for cheaper. Keep an eye on them (or an ear out for them) they growl on turns and as you said can be discovered if you shake the wheel.

·
287 cu inches of pain
1,137 Posts
Just wondering why did you get a front alinement done when you had less than 16K on it? Was there some problem? Who did it, the dealer? Maybe that is why it was missed, they never even touched it. I wonder if this is a problem for the 4x4's, because both of you guys have 4x2's right? Hope it works out ok for you real soon!

Andrew

·
01RC2WD4.75SPD
790 Posts
I had my truck lowered and did it just to check the camber. It was at 17000km at that time. Im not sure whats wrong with these bearings but they dont last long. They are a sealed unit and thus cant be repacked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad bearing

I got the FE aligned as the truck was over a year old and I live in a region with it's share of potholes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i have a bad front bearing in my truck at 45k mi. i heard it isn't to hard to change them out. I bought my new hub assembly today changing it out tomorrow

·
Registered
159 Posts
I changed out my bearing today it took about 20 or 30 min I'm glad i have air tools to loosen everything. By the way i did use a torque wrench to tighten everything back to spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.