DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a pair of cutouts installed last yr and the person who welded the dump tubes did a really crappy weld job and the leak really bad. So I was thinking, instead of having them welded again, could'nt I just cut the dump tubes out grind the welds, then use clamps? What clamps would you suggest? What would you do?

·
Administrator
10,540 Posts

·
Absolutely
6,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trust me, but I really dont want to get into it with the person, I have to see him and talk to him everyday because of work.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
well, either tell him they leak a little, and ask him to touch up his work, or take it to someone else without him knowing. Its a problem thats only going to get worse, and if it leaks, water is getting in, which will eventually rust your entire exhaust though. Clamps wouldn't work because the welded surface is uneven.

·
Fastest stockblock 4x4 NA
2,695 Posts
take it to someone else, if he notices tell him he sucks and that should shut him up.

·
The Walt-n-ator
2,491 Posts
You may have to add some new tubing, but band clamps will work. U-clamps usually allow pipes to leak, and can crush pipes; band clamps won't crush pipes, and seal the pipes by acting like a sleave. You can get them in either a butt-joint or a lap-joint. I have an entirely aftermarket exhaust system, and it is all bolted together with band clamps, and no leaks. The best part about the band clamps is that the exhaust is easily removed in case you want to go back to stock, or change your setup; I alternate between having a tailpipe and a turndown. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.