DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the truck to the shop cause it was blowing black smoke and running like @$#%....

I figured it was a sensor or something..... Well it turns out that I have either spun a rod, or my bearings are out due to a mudding experience that led to me getting stuck in a creek a while back. In anycase, I'm going to need a new engine or a rebuild.

The dealership where it is at quoted me $4400 out the door for a remanufactured 5.9L Magnum. This included parts, labor and everything. Sounds a little high to me, but what do I know. Taking it elsewhere for a second opinion before I make any decisions...

Any suggestions on what I should do??

AirborneJohn

·
Registered
199 Posts
i dont know what the price is in most shops to put a new motor in something. but i have put quite a few in. and on new cars with all of the electronics it takes alot of time and patience. for a new engine, and labor and everything 4400 doesnt seem to bad. but dealerships are usually pretty high. so id just go to a local shop and see how much they want.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i would try to stay away from the stealership, they are usualy pretty high on everything.

·
The Green Machine
1,722 Posts
I agree with MW on his assessment - with parts and labor, that's not too bad for a complete engine (installed).

If you have the time though, why not go with a stroker rebuild? KRC has both the 426 and 408 kits (426 is ~$2300 and the 408 is a little less). You might ask them about a DT discount as well (they are a sponsor here) and let them know you're serving in Iraq right now - you know...butter them up :D

If you could find a competent shop to do the rebuild, you might get out for the same or less than the cost of the reman'ed 5.9 from the dealer - AND you'd have a nicer engine.

Just a thought.

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
edglock21 said:
If you have the time though, why not go with a stroker rebuild? KRC has both the 426 and 408 kits (426 is ~$2300 and the 408 is a little less). You might ask them about a DT discount as well (they are a sponsor here) and let them know you're serving in Iraq right now - you know...butter them up :D

If you could find a competent shop to do the rebuild, you might get out for the same or less than the cost of the reman'ed 5.9 from the dealer - AND you'd have a nicer engine.

Just a thought.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
$4400 from the dealership out the door sounds like a fair price to me.

Shop around though.

·
Lifted HEMI 4x4
5,519 Posts
edglock21 said:
I agree with MW on his assessment - with parts and labor, that's not too bad for a complete engine (installed).

Just a thought.
yea go bigger

·
bigkuntry72
648 Posts
i know im gonna get bashed for saying this, but to do a stroker that performs up to its full potential will cost WAY more than 4400. there is a lot a costs no one thinks about. im picking mine up tues., granted everything was replaced( exept block) im like 9 grand in and im putting it in myself.also i bought top end parts for everything. it can be done cheaper but you will not get your full power potential. just to name a few- M1 & 55mm tb-1100, cam-329, jet hot coated longtubes-522, fully ported iron heads- probably close to 1500. cost of rotating assembly, balancing, machining block, 2800 stall converter, injectors, pcm flash, water pump, etc. the list goes on and it adds up quick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only good thing about the dealership is the warranty... 3 years / 100,000. Pretty easy to just drop it off and say fix this shit. Where a local shop might take forever... And who know what kinda warranty I will get there. As far as the stroker ideas go... I'm just a poor boy in the ARMY here...not trying to spend that much money and on top of that.... no warranty. LOL, I'm pretty set on that warranty thing aint I? Besides, this is still my daily driver for now and I want it to last. Thats not saying that I'm not going to beef it up with an Intake, Heads, and TB... But I think I will keep it closer to stock for now.

AirborneJohn

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
CEL on? Spinning a bearing won't make you blow black smoke, it will knock and you will loose all oil pressure, but it will run poorly. What is your oil psi at idle? 3K?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My CEL wasn't on for the longest time... After the creek incodint it ran fine for a week or two. Then all of the sudden whammo... CEL, black smoke, and poor performance. Right now the oil pressure guage drops to zero at idle and the warning light comes on. But thats crap... how can I have zero oil presure if the dang thing is sitting here running? At 3k, I dont remember the exact number but it was pretty normal. The smoke and everything comes and goes, ran fine the other day for like 10 minutes and then it all started again. Thats why it sounded like a bad sensor, or a plugged cat or something. The dude at the dealership says there is some serious knocking going on in there. Sounded like a little lifter noise to me... more of a tick than a knock really, but I'm no professional.

AirborneJohn

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
i would personally start with a oil pressure sending unit... I have seen my buddys 5.9 with zero oil pressure and low at 3k, and it still ran good. Put a new sensor in, and wham good to go. Also check to make sure your vehicles coolant system is up to snuff, if your coolant sending unit takes a crap it will blow black smoke because it is telling the computer it is too cold and richening it up even though your truck is warmed up internally. Also your intake air temp sensor can cause this as well, and a bad fuel pressure regulator

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
cycle your key real fast three times and give me the code

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hemi1569... the code that popped up was "P done", whatever that means.

Well I got the second opinion from another shop and same thing... I need a new engine. This place is offering a New engine... "Not manufactored" for $4,995 out the door. This includes parts labor and all of that. I guess its probably worth the extra 500 bucks to get a new on instead of a remain..

Said the engine can be in on Friday, it the truck can be done next week sometime. They are just waiting on my word...

I hate spending that much money, but shit happens I guess

AirborneJOhn

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
Airborne john, i would personally pull the motor out and go right through it... I know it will take more time but it will be alot cheaper if you have people help you... I would if you were in ny. I would pull it out, strip it, send the block out for a .020 overbore, good pistons, a new crank(stroker kit or just oem crankshaft) with new more aggressive camshaft and a head job. It will not even be close to 5,000 trust me. If you were just to have the engine sent out, cleaned, sonic checked bored and honed, plus pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, head job, and a good cam would not be more than 2000 at the MOST, and it would have more power and you would save 3000. Maybe try looking on ebay for a motor, they have them... Also see some in the classifieds, i will see if i can pull up the thread

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well now they are telling me that I don't need a new engine and that a new crank shaft kit and a o-2 sensor should do it.. $2275 out the door...

I would like to pull the engine and everything but there is one problem... I'm in Iraq right now and I cant do any of the work myself. I would wait but its my only vehicle and I would like to have it up and running for whan I get back to the states. I'm checking into that other engine right now. Thanks for the help.

AirborneJohn

·
Transmission Man!
3,508 Posts
I wish I could help you out AbJ,thanks for everything your doing over there and keep your head down!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still no response out of this guy with the R/T...

Having thoughts about the 426 stroker kit again... Someone better talk me out of this....LOL

AirborneJohn

·
bigkuntry72
648 Posts
i would guess the 426 kit uses the same crank ( 4 inch ) as the 408 except a bigger bore. the 408 is pushing the limits of the magnum block with 30 over, ive heard not to go over 20 over with the magnum. if you want to stroke it id go 408. be ready to open the check book. alot of little costs add up quick. trust me im finishing mine right now. and 10-4 on tactrans man said, thanks for all your doing overseas, be safe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.