DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking through the internet I didn't find any good placement for a backup camera. There was one where they mounted it into the spoiler but I didnt like the fact I had to drill into the metal to feed the wire through. The 4th gen trucks has has the camera in the handle which gives it a perfect angle so I mounted mine inside the handle. It only sticks out slightly, you have to really look at it to tell its there, when mounted on the truck it give that perfect viewing angle (more pics when completed) of the hitch and surrounding area.

The camera I chose was Esky EC170-25

the reason I chose it was because there a button that you can change pretty much everything on the camera. You can change whether you want the guide lines on or off and you can change the picture whether you want it upside down mirror or normal image. All those features and it cost me 15 Bucks off ebay or amazon has it for under 30.

Now comes the monitor. I have a nav unit and I didnt want to change the radio just for a backup camera. Lock pick was out of the question because I read issues with airbag lights and I cant justifie the cost just so I can make the camera work and plus I wouldn't use all of those feature they have anyways. I bought a rear view mirror monitor, not the one that clips on but the one you replace and looks factory.

The mirror I bought was a Boyo VTW43M which feature 2 video inputs one for backup and im planning on using the other input for a camera up front and miracast which is great so if the wife want to show me something on the road while she in the backseat with the kids she could just beam it up to the mirror and you can change the guide line by moving it farther or closer longer or shorter. The mirror with shipping cost me 144.

Once the snow melts ill run the wires and finish the install and give you guys a full update

Attachments

·
War Eagle!
2,005 Posts
looks good. I mounted mine in the spoiler, and that location works, but only if you don't have a locking tailgate. the lock on my tailgate is right where your camera is. when you get it completed, throw some pictures up of the final viewing angle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished Install

So I finially got a chance to finish the install. Whats great is that I can adjust the parking lines to where I want them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its one of those things that once you have it your like why I didnt do it sooner. I love it so far and it looks like the factory auto dimming mirror. cant beat that.

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,326 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. I've been mulling one of these over for a while, especially since I have a bed topper. I am guessing the 4th gen tailgate handle won't fit? I didn't know they had that available. I had seen them in Toyota Tundra tailgates, but I'm not sure how well that'd fit either.
Nothing a hot soldering iron and some elbow grease can't fix though!

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,326 Posts
That pictures helps. If I go this route, I think I'll cut a hole for the camera to fit in, and plastic weld a berm all the way around the opening to stabilize it. Or just squirt RTV around it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used a little bit of rtv so the camera doesn't swivel down. It's been working ever since, no matter how hard I slam the tail gate it stays put and if the camera goes bad it's easy to pry off.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Mine was mounted on a license plate bracket and there has a small LCD screen next to my rear view mirror. I really liked but it died on me. So everything was removed when it just wouldn't stay fixed and working. A new one is on the 'To Do' list but which one is the question now since this is the third unit that has failed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice mod and write-up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.