DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no b-u lights,fuse good,bulbs too and I'm getting power to both fuse block and sockets.I'm thinking reverse switch,but do not see it on tranny,found the speed sensor on back of t-case.Any ideas?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
get a Haynes manual for $20. It's got lots of good information, to include the back up switch (which is on the tranny).

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
that sucks...let me see if I can find a diagram of the manual tranny. It should show where the switch is.

There can't be more than maybe 4 or 5 wires coming out of that tranny. Have you gotten under there and felt around / looked good?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I fall else fails, go to the stealership and ask them to look at an exploded diagram of the tranny.
Or try googling it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do you replace the back up light switch or the neutral safety switch? or both? Some back up switch for a 5 spd manually are $8 some are $60 What is the difference? Is it tough to replace? sounds pretty common. Does anyone know?
Please Advise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure what year/model you have, but I had the same problem with my '97 1500 (manual transmission)- twice. The switch is on the tranny, and is easy to replace. The problem with mine was that none of the replacement switches listed for my vehicle at any of the parts stores was the right size for the hole in the tranny. I had to use a switch for an automatic transmission and make-up a jumper harness (the automatic tranny switch was the same "sex" as the harness it plugged into) to make it work. I used a LT51 GP Sorensen switch that I believe I got from Advance Auto. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 95 1500 manual v-8 4 x 4
Where is the hole / plug in the tranny? I can't find it I am missing something.... is it possible it is on the top and can't be accessed unless the tranny is dropped. I checked my haynes and it only shows the auto tranny it discusses it in the manual trans section but doesn't say how our where. is it covered? if I face front what where is it?
totally stumped ???

·
Registered
15 Posts
It was a couple years ago when I changed it last, so I can't tell you 100% for sure. I remember that I could roll under on a creeper from the driver's side and access it. If it ever stops raining, I'll see if I can pull the truck in my buddy's garage and take a picture of it for you. Sorry I can't be of more help; the mind's the first thing to go (I hope...). The switch looks like this: http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/aap/gps/gps_lt8_full.jpg

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
I'm fairly sure it will be near the linkage (upper portion, when the stick goes into the top). It should be a simple push switch, when you shift into reverse, it should close the circuit by engaging the switch.
I have never worked on a manual tranny in a dodge, but the Ford & mazda trannys used a switch like described above.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Back up light switch

A MONTH OF SUNDAYS: that is how long it took me to find the back up light switch part. 95 ram 4x4 5 spd 5.2 318 takes a two pin(female) automatic trans switch...three stores and 4 switch comparisons later I found it LT8 Sorensen... good news only $10.88 at advanced auto as opposed to the $60 plus at NAPA and other suggestions at $100 plus (switch plus new harness.) Haynes dropped the ball big time telling me to look for a 3 pin male switch front driverside of tranny...turns out it was a two pin drivers side middle of the tranny about 2/3 of the way up...I was also told that I would need to drains the trans fluid... not so. 2 minutes and 7/8 deep socket later I was done. Hope this helps would of saved me before I decided I needed back up lights...

Thankyou all for your suggestions! Otherwise this rookie would still be looking if not for your posts. :D

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Glad you got it fixed :tup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.