DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - hopefully someone can help. We have a 95 Ram 1500 and the back-up lights are always on when we turn the lights on. Also when we hook up the trailer - the brake lights go out when we hit the brakes when the lights are on - but only when the lights are on - if they are off - everything is fine. Also when the lights are on and we turn either signal on and press the brake - both signals flash simultaneously.

Has anyone heard of this before?undefined

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
i have never had that happen to me before. something is shorting out in there somewhere. i don't know if the turn signal switch would cause that or not. that would be something to look into. other then that i cannot think of anything else it could be.......good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
what type of trailer connector are you using
if you are using a 7-wire connector
1= ground
2= 12v (+)
3= Rt. brake/turn
4= Lt. brake/turn
5= running lights
6= electric brakes
7= back-up

if you are using a 7-wire your problem is probably with the vechicle side of your connector
if you are using a 7 to 4 adaptor it may be shorted
in ohio i have to clean my connections periodically in the winter due to salt on the roads i'm not sure if you would have similar problems in calf. unless you trailer is for a boat that has been backed into salt water during launching

·
Registered
18 Posts
truss monkey said:
what type of trailer connector are you using
if you are using a 7-wire connector
1= ground
2= 12v (+)
3= Rt. brake/turn
4= Lt. brake/turn
5= running lights
6= electric brakes
7= back-up

if you are using a 7-wire your problem is probably with the vechicle side of your connector
if you are using a 7 to 4 adaptor it may be shorted
in ohio i have to clean my connections periodically in the winter due to salt on the roads i'm not sure if you would have similar problems in calf. unless you trailer is for a boat that has been backed into salt water during launching
not sure if you got this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we are using a 4 pin flat connector. But the problem is not with the trailer - it works fine with our Expedition. The D has a 7 pin connector and a 4 pin as well. Seems like the problem has something to do with the lights - not the connector. The main problem is the back up lights are always on when we turn the lights on. And then when we have the lights off the D - all the lights work on the trailer. But when we turn the lights on the D and push the brake - the lights go off on the trailer.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I would say the the problem could be the way the trailer plug wires are connected to the truck wiring.Sounds like you have some wires crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.