DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New here. And pretty new to working on Dodge Ram.
My 1997 Dodge Ram Van B3500 (5.2l) conversion loses power going up hills. I can be doing 70 MPH (100 KPH) at the bottom and it gradually slows down as low as 25 MPH by the time I get to the top if it's a long hill. Kicking down doesn't make any difference - just nosier.
I took it to my local garage. They said it was a transmission problem. I took it to a transmission repair shop and the guy there who has been in business for more than 40 years, said it was a blocked exhaust. Back to the garage - they did a vacuum test (I think that's what it was) and said there was nothing wrong with the exhaust. Back to the tranny shop - he made some adjustments to it and replaced a corroded pipe. That seemed to have some effect but the main problem is still there.
Having read the previous comments, I'm thinking that the tranny guy may have been right in the first place and I have a blocked cat converter. I'm willing to try to get the oxygen sensor out or failing that to drill holes in the cat. I'm assuming that would be in the forward end of the cat but how big would the holes need to be - 1/4"? If that's not the problem would it be possible to plug the holes again? (If it is the problem then obviously I need a new cat).
I would be grateful for any guidance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
New here. And pretty new to working on Dodge Ram.
My 1997 Dodge Ram Van B3500 (5.2l) conversion loses power going up hills. I can be doing 70 MPH (100 KPH) at the bottom and it gradually slows down as low as 25 MPH by the time I get to the top if it's a long hill. Kicking down doesn't make any difference - just nosier.
I took it to my local garage. They said it was a transmission problem. I took it to a transmission repair shop and the guy there who has been in business for more than 40 years, said it was a blocked exhaust. Back to the garage - they did a vacuum test (I think that's what it was) and said there was nothing wrong with the exhaust. Back to the tranny shop - he made some adjustments to it and replaced a corroded pipe. That seemed to have some effect but the main problem is still there.
Having read the previous comments, I'm thinking that the tranny guy may have been right in the first place and I have a blocked cat converter. I'm willing to try to get the oxygen sensor out or failing that to drill holes in the cat. I'm assuming that would be in the forward end of the cat but how big would the holes need to be - 1/4"? If that's not the problem would it be possible to plug the holes again? (If it is the problem then obviously I need a new cat).
I would be grateful for any guidance.
1996 Dodge B3500 owner: I just replaced my upstream and downstream O2 Sensors using tools loaned (via deposit) from O'Rilley Auto Parts. Although I did use a liquid wrench type product for two days leading up the the maintenance, I really had no problem getting them out. Point being, borrow the tool and you can easily remove the sensors in my opinion. The cat is very expensive to replace having mine done once (thankfully under warranty. Perhaps go to a muffler shop as this is their area.
Additional thought, I've had to replace the fuel pump three times on mine (last at 163k miles) and it can cause problems on hills but also when (for me) at 1/3/ to 1/4 tank. I chose a NAPA part this last round as it is lifetime warranty. Garage will replace if it happens again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pablo. In the end I just drilled holes in the cat. That made a huge difference so I packed it off to my local muffler shop who are presently welding in a cheaper aftermarket cat and cleaning out the rest of the exhaust system.
Merv

1 - 3 of 3 Posts