Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All... :help:

I have been scratching my brain trying to figure out why my system in my truck doesn't resonate. Sounds great from inside my truck, but you couldn't hear me if you stepped outside. I know my system puts out alot more. I have 2 -12" 1000w Q-Power subs powered by a 2 channel 600w Fosgate Punch Series. The box was already installed before I got the truck so I don't know anything about custom boxes on 1500 QC's. Are there supposed to be any port holes or anything to the sort? It just doesn't have the bump. Maybe some may be due to the fact that I haven't bridged the 2-12"s yet. I'm not sure. All I know is that the same system in my Camaro could be heard down the street and now it's not pushing anything in my truck near what it had been in the Camaro. Anyone please help?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

-Ryno :VHOT:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Where are the subs? Do you have enough air space for 2 12's?

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you have one of those wooden boxes made for the 10's but with holes for 12's then you don't have enough airspace
batman

·
Registered
977 Posts
Post a picture of the box w/subs. If its wood, you don't have enough air space. My molded enclosure gets every cubic inch possible and it has 1.8 ft3 which I consider the minimum for a pair of 12's. Since you have Qpower subs, its more than likely a Qpower box. It's a imported wood enclosure that has a internal air volume of 1 ft3 aprox. even though many ebay sellers lie and say it has 2 ft3.

The other thing you need to make sure of before bridging your amp is your subs impedance. Q power is notorious for putting 4 ohm subs in everything. If they are 4 ohms each make sure your amp can go 2 ohm mono.

·
The Doc
302 Posts
DodgeFireman447 said:
Greetings All... :help:

I have been scratching my brain trying to figure out why my system in my truck doesn't resonate. Sounds great from inside my truck, but you couldn't hear me if you stepped outside. I know my system puts out alot more. I have 2 -12" 1000w Q-Power subs powered by a 2 channel 600w Fosgate Punch Series. The box was already installed before I got the truck so I don't know anything about custom boxes on 1500 QC's. Are there supposed to be any port holes or anything to the sort? It just doesn't have the bump. Maybe some may be due to the fact that I haven't bridged the 2-12"s yet. I'm not sure. All I know is that the same system in my Camaro could be heard down the street and now it's not pushing anything in my truck near what it had been in the Camaro. Anyone please help?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

-Ryno :VHOT:
By no means am I an expert on subs (except they kind you eat, mmm, mmm, gooood), I understand you can fill the box with polyfill in order to make a box that is a little undersized appear bigger to the subwoofer. I know that you can put in a little on the sides, or lightly pack or completely stuff it. heehee, I said stuff it.....
The Doc.....losing his mind :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: The Sub box was put it before I bought the truck, so it is not a Q-power box. The box is one piece, which seems to be glued/caulked down. I believe its a 2" or so thick piece of wood stretching across under the entire bench seat. The space is filled with a cotton-type material, and i mean STUFFED! Hope this assists in getting me more help! Thanks again!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I hope that whoever made your subbox didnt just make a baffle and think that the well was sealed, because it's not. There are huge holes through the metal that the air will flow through. When you pulled one of your subs did you remove the polyfill to see if they fiberglassed the well or is it just the factory charcoal carpet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good question, when I get off work I will go and take one out and look past the polyfill and let you know.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry to Hijack but Joefox do you have more info (pics, prices) on your box(s)??

·
Banned
459 Posts
I have the same problem.... I have two 10" orions that really can't be heard standing outside the truck (however, system going, and inside the house is a different story). But i think my prob is a little worse. My subs seem to flatten out quite often, which in turn defeats the purpose of having them. At best it sounds like a high quality factory system. my box is down firing and the ring on the subs overlap to the edge so bad i had to silicone them just to seal it. was thinking about drilling ports onto the outer edge to let it breathe, but, i guess they were breathing prior to sealing em. any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.