Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Mayo5 said:
How big is the Dana 80? The 14 Bolt, I purchased is 10.5 inches, and I believe it's the biggest you can buy, and I know it will fit. I would assume the D80 is pretty similar.
I'll have to check into it. What did you wind up paying for the 14 bolt?

·
0 Posts
I paid $800 for it, The pictures shown it was in amazing condition almost like new, It's being shipped now, so I will take some pictures when I see it in person.

It came with a detroit Lokcer and 4.56 Yukon Gears.

I plan on putting Warn Premium hub, a 1410 Yoke set up, and Moser Chromemoly Axles.

If anything is needed, it's the 1410 yoke, b/c it get's rid of the only weak link in the 14 bolt, so with that installed it's bomb proof.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
NICE find! Keep us updated.... and possibly a build cost too?

·
0 Posts
Thanks, I just got lucky....The 800$ was for the 4.56 and locker already installed and ready to go, it comes with the disc brakes,housing,axles and everyhting.
It doesn't need anything, I just plan on adding the other things later.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey 01 offroad, just wanted to see how it was coming with with those dana 60's, if you have got them yet, where you got 'em from and how much they cost

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm following up on a D60 front right now locally for $600. It's out of a 95 Cummins 4x4 and only has 115,000 miles on it. Very excited about that. I've also got my wrecker driver buddies looking out for a D60/D70 combo. Told them I'd pay UP TO $1000 for that combo. I should be hearing from the by the end of the day today in regards to what they have on their lots.

I'd like to do the combo and get it over with, rather than having to go with two different sets of wheels because of the bolt pattern. Up until about 10 min ago, I hadn't found a 15" wheel that was going to fit a 1 ton axle. THANKS MAYO5!!!! If these wheels work, I'm set.

If they don't work, well.... I may just have to make 'em work. Otherwise I'm looking at dropping another $1500 - $2000 for wheels and tires. Dog house.... is it warm?

So by the end of the day today, I should know if I'm going to have just a D60, or the 60/70 combo!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
UPDATE!!!!

Well I ended up getting a D60 front out of a '95 Cummins 4x4 locally for $600!!! It only has 115,000 miles on it, and it's in good shape. I decided on going with a GM 14 bolt in the rear, just like Mayo5 did. Just couldn't beat what I got for the price. Disk brakes, AND a locker on a NEW axle for $900 (plus $135 for shipping). That put me right at $1600 for the axles. Not TOO bad.

On top of swapping in the axles, I decided to go ahead and do gears and lockers while I was at it - kinda had to. The D60 front came with 3.55's, and the 14 bolt came with 4.56's. I'm regearing 'em both to 5.38 and putting full Detroit's in BOTH axles. Front and rear gears and lockers installed and out the door - note that this includes all the perches, etc that need to be fabbed up - is costing me right at $2,025. That price could actually go down if I'm able to re-use the Detriot that's coming with the 14 bolt rear (and I should be able to). That's another $500 savings. NICE!

I can't wait to get these bad boys under the truck!!!! I'm giddy like a kid at Christmas right now! I'm most excited about the gears in the truck. It'll be nice to accelerate like a normal truck again! And I can't wait to see the Detriots spinning that MUD!!!

I want to take a second to say THANK YOU to everyone of ya'll that chimmed in on this thread. I think there's a LOT of good info here that can help out fellow DT members in the future with similar upgrades!

Thanks again!

·
0 Posts
Definately man...Congratulations on that find. Sounds like a hell of a deal.

·
0 Posts

This is how it arrived(minus the tarp). I'm very pleased. I can't wait to put the moser axles on, the Warn Hubs, and the 1410 Yoke.

That axle is a GM 14Bolt 10.5 inch Full Float with Disc Breaks,1350 yoke,4.56 Gears, Detroit locker all for 800$.. I'm soo happy, I'm like a kid right now

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Mayo5 said:

This is how it arrived(minus the tarp). I'm very pleased. I can't wait to put the moser axles on, the Warn Hubs, and the 1410 Yoke.

That axle is a GM 14Bolt 10.5 inch Full Float with Disc Breaks,1350 yoke,4.56 Gears, Detroit locker all for 800$.. I'm soo happy, I'm like a kid right now
Bad arse! Mine ships out on Thursday. I can't wait!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes the Dana 60 uses the vacuum "assist" yolk to shift in the right passenger axles together. It's as if Dana gave a crayon and a chalk board to a chimp and let him come up with that design.

I used to do a lot of well work off road with my truck. On some job, something (unbeknown to me), hit the bottom of that vacuum pot (yeah, it's got a shield plate, once again designed by the same chimp). Over time, the piston plate in there that moves the diaphragm wore a hole in the diaphragm itself because the shaft was slightly bent. Happened over a long period of time, then I started noticing trouble going in and out of gear and the 4WD light misbehaving. No a big deal, went down to a junk yard and got another. However.....on rare occasions I like to see what the truck's V-10 will do pulling itself up mountain grades. Sometimes if I hit it right, I can top 100 on wild-ass grades. Well.....while I was having this 'fun', the right axle wasn't always 'unlocked'. What this did was prematurely wear out a carbon bushing that separates the two shafts from touching. I just happened to catch this while replacing the right axle seal. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had not caught that.

Went in recently and replaced that seal again and the left one for the first time. Carbon bushing was fine some 60,000 later. Oh and kids....what FUN you will have replacing that left axle seal on a Dana 60. You have to borrow or buy a diff case spreader and you better pay attention to the dial caliper you sent up for the process or you can easily warp your case. It IS a better seal than than right one though.;-) Maybe the chimp didn't design that seal.....

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.