Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
0 Posts
Nice article, but I'm still waiting to hear the reason's for not going with a 14 bolt.

If I'm going to change the front end out, might as well do the rear too.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
well me personally...

I would never put Mopar in a Chevy, or put Chevy in a Mopar.

I plan on upgrading my 1/2 ton axles to a Dana 44HD front and Dana 60 rear at first... which should be strong enough... But i eventually will upgrade to a 60 front and a 70 rear, if i need to... or as i could afford it...

That's why a 14 bolt will never go under my mopar ;)

·
0 Posts
That's understandable...It's just I have a hard time choosing.

I'm going to go D60 Upfront.

And I have to choose between a good deal on a Dana 70 for the rear, or a really nice built 14 bolt. It's a tough choice, and that's why I was looking for the personal experiences.

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
Mayo5 said:
That's understandable...It's just I have a hard time choosing.

I'm going to go D60 Upfront.

And I have to choose between a good deal on a Dana 70 for the rear, or a really nice built 14 bolt. It's a tough choice, and that's why I was looking for the personal experiences.
D60 up front is a good deal, they are normally really expensive though... and i would go for d70 in the rear, but... thats just because 14 bolts dont belong on mopars... do both of their gears match the front d60? what about disc brakes, lockers, or any other added stuff?

·
0 Posts
The 14bolt comes with a detroit locker and 4.56 gears, as will the D60.

The Dana70 is stock.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
mikeah169 said:
I was looking for dana 60 conversions and came across this website. Hope it helps. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/dana60swap.php
You know, I'm usually pretty impressed with the write ups on Pavement Sux. This wasn't nessessarily a bad write up, in fact it was well written, but I'm curious why the author went with a Ford HP D60 rather than a Dodge D60....? He mentions in the write up the price of the D60 was only $700. Not bad, but with all the work that he had to put into the 60 to make it work, IMO, he'd have been better off with spending a little extra and doing the Dodge 60. Again, just me and my $0.02.

I do like the idea of the coil overs in the front. That's something I hadn't considered (and would be a down the road mod if I decided to do it). It would be especially nice to be able to use the coil overs in the stock shock location. Really don't like the idea that the author mentions about a leaf spring front end replacing the coils and arms.

And don't think this is me flamming the author, or talking trash about PS. I really do like PS, there's a wealth of info on that site. This is just one of those swaps that's got me scratching my head. :gr_patrio

·
0 Posts
Well I know that Dana he used, has a King Pin style on it, and is widely sought after. And I think this is b/c of their knuckles, they don't pop out like the newer balljoints on most new axles. They are much stronger and much more durable. But I could definately be wrong.

And I would just assume get a Dodge Dana 60 too, and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Mayo5 said:
Well I know that Dana he used, has a King Pin style on it, and is widely sought after. And I think this is b/c of their knuckles, they don't pop out like the newer balljoints on most new axles. They are much stronger and much more durable. But I could definately be wrong.

And I would just assume get a Dodge Dana 60 too, and be done with it.
I hear ya on the strength.... I like to apply the KISS principal as often as possible. Keep It Simple Stupid. Worked good so far. :D

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And soon after I get through questioning why this guy would do all that work on that D60, I find a pair of 60's for under $1k. But they're from a 1st gen W350 Dodge 1 ton. 4.10 gears. Locking hubs. Decent looking units. Worth the fab work (that I'd be paying someone else to do - plus shipping charges).

·
'75 Power Wagon
4,530 Posts
01_OffRoad said:
And soon after I get through questioning why this guy would do all that work on that D60, I find a pair of 60's for under $1k. But they're from a 1st gen W350 Dodge 1 ton. 4.10 gears. Locking hubs. Decent looking units. Worth the fab work (that I'd be paying someone else to do - plus shipping charges).
Where are those axles located? That sounds like what im looking for! lol

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ebay. Need the link?

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you want coil overs you may want to look at the 8" lift from rock krawler. They use sway away coil overs and it looks like they come with special brackets so you can use the stock coil bucket, I also saw some that skyjacker makes. I dont know if you could get these shocks by themselves but if you checked your local 4x4 shops I bet they could get them for you.

·
0 Posts
Can someone provide me the center pin to center pin measurements for the 1500. For the rear. Need some measurements for spring perches off a GM 14 Bolt.

**Edit** Is it 32.5 inches? Can someone verify? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Mayo5 said:
Can someone provide me the center pin to center pin measurements for the 1500. For the rear. Need some measurements for spring perches off a GM 14 Bolt.

**Edit** Is it 32.5 inches? Can someone verify? Thank you.
Sorry... truck's in the shop or I'd run out there right now and double check...

Here's something I was thinking about today dealing with the front D60. Our 1500 4x4's use a vacuum line to engage 4x4 and lock the two peice passenger side axle together. D60's don't have the vacuum switch on the axle, correct? How would 4x4 engage on the D60 front? Would this be a mod to the t-case?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Found out today that MOST 1 ton axles have the same bolt pattern, which is 8 on 6.5 - that's good news. That means that MOST 14 bolt rears and Dana 60 fronts will have the same bolt pattern, which will alleviate the wheel fitment issues. What I have to worry about now is the backspacing and offset of the two wheels in relation to the axle width.

·
0 Posts
Yeah I found that out too, when I was doing some research. The extra width was one thing that has concerned me, but I guess like all other things; I will just have to play it by ear.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
At what point (if any) does going to a bigger axle become an issue? I found a good deal on a rear Dana 80, but that's some SERIOUS axle.

·
0 Posts
How big is the Dana 80? The 14 Bolt, I purchased is 10.5 inches, and I believe it's the biggest you can buy, and I know it will fit. I would assume the D80 is pretty similar.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.