DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, what did you use to take the axle nut off of your Dana 44 front end?? I've tried everywhere I can think of to find either the actual axle nut socket(I did find it for $54 from Snap-On) or a 1 11/16" regular socket. The only one I can find is a 12pt Craftsman will that be ok to use?

I'm really glad Dodge decided to use such an uncommon size. :mad:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok guys, what did you use to take the axle nut off of your Dana 44 front end??
I used a socket of the right size from my 3/4" drive socket set. :D

The only one I can find is a 12pt Craftsman will that be ok to use?

A six point socket would be best, if you do use the 12 point socket then be sure to keep the socket square to the wheel hub or it could slip off when you crank on it.

·
Redneck Yankee
2,509 Posts
I found one for my wife's PT at NAPA for about $17. They had a pretty good selection.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Napa has lots of them but not this one. I've tried a lot of places and nobody carries it. I really don't want to but a 3/4" drive set just for this so I might just pay the $54 for the snap-on one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I might just pay the $54 for the snap-on one

Thats more than what I paid for my 3/4 drive set !

I bought one of those offshore cheapy sets. Since I'm not using it that often it will last a long time. Getting the axle nut off is the easy part......after the job is completed and your putting it all back together....retourqing to 170 ft lbs is important.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Harbor Freight has 3/4" metric or sae sets for $39 each http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3994 but you still have to get the 1 11/16" socket from somewhere. I used this set and the Craftsman socket from sears and nothing broke. Normally I like to use Craftsman tools but their 3/4" sets are $200+ and I figured I'm not going to use a 3/4" set that often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.