DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the dodge rams ever be offered with an AWD system. Not a 4wd system. But I know the chevy SS has an AWD and I was just wondering if the RAM was ever going to see one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
They should have made the Daytona trucks and all wheel drive insteaed of 4 wheel drive, I fthey would only ask us what we wont first instead they build it and hope is sells but that's the way to do stuff backwards.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
AWD became an available option on 04 SLTs. I'm pretty sure it's also available on the 05s. Don't know how many dealers actually order it, but there are a few members here with AWD Rams.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
DonRam said:
AWD became an available option on 04 SLTs. I'm pretty sure it's also available on the 05s. Don't know how many dealers actually order it, but there are a few members here with AWD Rams.

WOW... The SECOND thing I have learned here today... I had NO idea you could get an AWD RAM... You talk about launching off the line in a hurry!!! :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
406 Posts
My friend has a full time 4wd ram. it is real safe to drive!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does your RAM get worse mileage? I thought it would be a little better. Hmmm
Do you mind disclosing how much you paid for that option, and what year your truck is?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
According to the DC website, it's a $550 option. It's only available on the SLT's and above. It's called Full Time 4wheel drive which give you AWD, but also 4 wheel low shifting if you need it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
thats awesome...i was doggin the boys at dodge for not making an AWD option, guess i was wrong!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Mine is an 04. I have my window sticker in my hand and it says $395. I get 14 Mpg in the city and 17 on the highway with 305's. I don't drive easy either. With the stock 17's, I got 19 on the highway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Marsh14,
What gears are you running? The best I have ever seen was 14.9 mpg on the way to New Hampshire(up on the interstate). I also have 305"s!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW!!!An option like AWD only cost you under 400 bucks! That's awesome! I'm thinking about trading in (probably selling outright) my 02 QC and getting a newer QC HEMI. And if at all possible, I'm going to get the AWD. I don't care if I have to wait 6 months for it. I had thought about getting the magnum just becuase it was AWD. Nevermind, I'd much rather have my truck now that I know this.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok... this may be a stupid question but what is the difference between all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive?

Dan

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It is kind of confusing and there are many different types of AWD and 4wd systems. Typically and AWD system uses some type of viscous coupling that allows the wheels to turn at different speeds when turning on dry pavement. A 4wd only system doesn't have this. If in 4wd and turning the speed difference between the wheels will cause the wheels will try to remain the same. If the system can't handle the extra torque something will break. Try finding a rock road and put your truck in 4wheel drive and turn sharply at a slow speed. You will hear the slower wheels spin to keep up with the faster turning wheels (Unless you have the full time 4w system). An AWD system doesn't do this.

The ram really is a full time 4WD system. Most AWD systems don't even use a transfer case. The Ram does so you also have 4wheel low, but when not in 4wheel low works as an AWD system.

This may not be 100% accurate for the Ram, but a general description based upon other 4wd and AWD vehicles I've owned. My jeep is full time 4 wheel drive, but is rear wheel drive unless the system senses the rear wheels slipping. It does engage pretty quick, but I don't like the lack of control I have over it. At least it still has 4wheel low if I need it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

Dan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.