DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the "New to ME" 2001 Ram 1500 5.9l Auto Laramie regular cab 2 wheel drive, the transmission whines very loud right after cold start. Whine gets louder in reverse, and never quite goes away even when warmed up. P.O. said that the trans filter and fluid were changed about 1,000 miles before I got it. Trans fluid on dip stick looks nice and pink with no burned or strange odor.

Is this normal, or should I change the fluid and filter again? While driving, all shift points are where they should be and they are smooth and firm, no slipping.

Yes, I am positive that the whine comes from the trans. I started it yesterday and crawled under it fight away and the whine IS comming from the trans, NOT from under the hood as in power steering pump.

Thanks, in advance for any and all help, tips, and advice.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like it’s sucking air. Drop the pan and remove the filter. There is a ring that goes around the filter neck where it goes into the bottom of the trans and a lot of times the tech forgets to remove the old one stuck in the transmission and installs the new filter and it won’t seat right with both on it. What ever you do don’t drive it as the 454rfe trans is extremely touchy on lack of fluid and will burn your clutch packs fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts