DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 year old son bought a 73 w100 for his first vehicle. We are in the process of getting it all fixed up for him. We are putting a new steering wheel on and noticed that the stock automatic shifter is really sloppy and you don't even have to pull it toward you to select the gears. It seems like the spring that pushes the shifter forward is either too small or has just been smashed from years of use/abuse. Is this a common issue? Can i either stretch the spring out some or put something behind it to push the spring out more? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Take the spring out and go to find one that's the same size but stiffer. It's very important for his safety that it locks in place and can't be bumped out of gear while driving! If there's a junkyard in the area you may find any old Ford Chevy Dodge pickup and the spring may be about the same size. Don't forget your magnet tool! if that's not a possibility see if in your area there's a guy who rebuilds steering columns and maybe he can set you up with the right spring. On the Dodges everything up to 93 should have what you need.
Brian

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
The spring in his is too short. I was even thinking about jus putting some washers behind the spring to push it out farther.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts