DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 dodge ram 1500 w/ a 318 auto 4x4. I found a wrecked 99 1500 318 manual 4x4. How difficult would it be to switch the 01 over to a manual? The 99 is only a parts truck cant be repaired. Is this possible or just completely insane? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Blowin n' Goin
3,692 Posts
Anything is possible with enough money. But yes it really is, the trucks are baiscally the same, and all the hard whare should just swap right over. But Before you jump into it I would measure the lengths of the two transmissions and make sure that they are the same length, other wise you got problems.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
im picking up the parts to swap mine over this weekend 250 bucks for everything except clutch and pressure plate

·
Woodstock
762 Posts
Where did you find the parts that cheap?! I'm insanely jealous.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
found them on ebay less than 3000 miles since tranny and transfer case was rebuilt both look like new

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did the swap go? Would I still be able to use the motor from the 01 and just change the tranny? Or does the transfer case have to go to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
manuals rock!

i have a 97 ram with a 318 and 163k on it and i have the 5 speed manual and i can easily keep up with a new hemi unti i hit third gear its so much fun

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
i havent done the swap yet im waiting till this spring im finishing my 390 right now it will all go in together im not sure about the transfer case i have heard both ways they swap and they dont ill find out soon i have a spare 46re ill see if the standard xfer case bolts up to it im also going to see if it bolts up to the 1ton 4 speed i bought for 89cents ill let you know how it turns out

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Shoot, I'm subscribing to this thread as well! That is a fantastic find, Tkirk! I just looked on eBay and can't find an NV4500 for less than 800 bucks! I figure if my swap is successful, I can always turn around and sell my freshly built 46RE with external cooler and make some or all of the money back.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
as long as you arent in a hurry you can find some great deals most people need it now so they just pay whatever i dont really need the stuff so i wait till a great deal comes along and snag it i figure it doesent eat anything sitting in my garage

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Very true. I'm not in a hurry either. My auto was just rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago so the truck is fine. I'm just excited. :D

Do you have a 318 or 360, tkirk? Did you get your hands on the NV3500 or 4500?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
its the nv 3500 i know its not as strong as the 4500 but if i blow the 3500 apart i have a np435 from a 1 ton to put in right now im running a 318 with231,000 on it but im finishing up a 390 stroker that will go in until my 383 big block is ready to go

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Nice! Sounds like you're having lots-O-fun! What's the 383? Is that a Mopar engine? Is it going to go in your Ram?

Mine would have to be a 4500 since I have the 360 and that's what came on them in the 2500's. I'm hoping to find a salvage yard 2500 so I can snatch out the PCM and wiring harness so I don't have to bootleg the wiring to get it to work.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
yes the 383 is a mopar motor this one came out of a 69 road runner but was rebuilt as a drag motor it was put in the car started up and started knocking as soon as it fired it was shut off pulled out and set in a corner of the guys garage he put in a 440 instead the 383 just sat there for 15 years till i bought it for 100.00 took it home and pulled it apart found out when they put the motor together #7 rod cap was not torqued down causing the knock no damage was done to the motor so other than 13 to 1 comp and a mouse nest in the oil pan its ready to go

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Sex. It that going in your truck? I'm assuming it'll stay carbed...

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
You're gonna need some damn good (expensive) gas! :gr_patrio

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
its going in my 97 ram im planning on useing a six pack set up on the 383 and the 390 stroker im getting rid of all the computer crap as for the expensive gas im dropping the compression on the 383 to 10-10.5 to 1 so i can run pump gas

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
K the truck that I talked about originally that is wrecked will not start because the air bag went off and ripped some wiring out. Think this is anything to worry about.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
shouldnt be a problemthe wireing you need is under the dash and should be ok

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
K how about the difference in years? Mine is a 01 and the other is a 99. I want to keep my motor can i still do this? Or is the year diff goin to make me have to change everything?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.