Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but did not find.

Anywho, so many of us 46RE owners have either complained about problems with the tranny or our trucks being under powered. Seldom is there ever a thread about the 5-speed guys having issues or complaining about a lack of power of their trucks. In fact, I've read several posts by 5-speed owners that say things like "my 318 has plenty of pep!"

Now, my questions are, is it possible to swap a 5-speed in from an auto? Is it worth it if so? Or is it a dumb idea?

Thoughts?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
yes it is possable there are a couple threads on here about people doing just that with directions

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a buddy who swapped a 98 cummins from auto to manual, and said it couldn't have been easier. Something along the lines of the mounts are already in place, or the provisions for them are there(speaking of clutch brackets and clutch master etc). Just a matter of getting the parts and bolting them in.

I just seafoamed the other day, and can now say, wow, these 318s got some balls! just about got it to go side ways tonight, dropped the hammer in 1st rolling at 3 grand, tires complained :)

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is possable there are a couple threads on here about people doing just that with directions
OMG! SHOW ME!!!!!

rednecklimo85 said:
...dropped the hammer in 1st rolling at 3 grand, tires complained
I wanna say that too! :bawl:

<-------jealous.

(side note, why are all the 5-speeds 5.2L's? I haven't seen a 360 5-speed yet! Unless I'm not looking very hard....)

·
Registered
83 Posts
As far as I know, dodge never offered the 360 with a stick in the 1500's. i've seen 2500's tho. pretty common, ford with the 351, and i believe chevy with the 350(think early/mid 90's and newer tho)

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if the 2500 trans that mounts to the 360 would fit. The 2500 had the same body I believe right? Same mounts and junk?

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Looks like there's some wiring bootlegging that has to be done. In light of that, I'll probably keep the auto and dump 4:56's in it. At least my 46RE is newly rebuilt with upgraded bands and clutches over stock. Should last a while if I take care of it and the 4:56's should take care of any power issues I'm having.....hopefully.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you are looking to tow keep your auto. The clutches in the 5 speeds can't support much weight. If you have a 5 speed the tow rating is right around 5,000 pounds. If you have an auto it is around 7,000-8,000 pounds. If you want pep and more control it is the way to go. I love my 5 speed but I wish I could tow more without modding it much.

As far as the switch as you have seen it can be done.

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha. If I did do the swap, I'd likely get the trans from a salvage yard and buy a new higher performance clutch. I really don't tow anything except for when I move or help others move. Towing aint an issue really.

I just don't want to bootleg the wiring and deal with a light on the dash or the computer still thinking I had an auto or whatnot. Can one swap in a manual computer and wiring harness so things aren't botched?

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Holy resurrected thread, Batman!"

Ok, so this dream of mine hasn't died yet. I'm hoping that if I find a wrecked 2500/360/manual, I can swap everything over. The trans, the clutch, the wiring, PCM, steering column (or at least the plastic around it, and the gauge panel (to get rid of the PRND21 window.

Now, would 4.56 gears be overkill with a manual and 33's? I'm thinking I would love the power but not sure if drivability would be sacrificed (shifting too quickly under normal driving). Just thinking out loud.
If the 4.56's would be a bit much, at least I would save money with 4.10's since I wouldn't need new carriers.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
you might have to start out in second gear instead of first in most situations but the final drive ratio would be the same i just picked up everything to swap mine over sunday only cost me 250.00 tranny,transfer case,flywheel,pedals and hydraulics

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Seriously?!?! Are you sure you didn't put a decimal in the wrong place? 250 is DAMN good!

You need to document this for others who want to do the same thing (me :D ). Are you sportin a 360 or 318? Why did you need a transfer case? Thought they were the same from manual to auto. Also, you said the final drive is the same. Does that mean 5th on the manual is the same as 3rd in lockup on the auto, or the same as OD in lockup?

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
Wonder if the 2500 trans that mounts to the 360 would fit. The 2500 had the same body I believe right? Same mounts and junk?
it will, the cases are the same, except the back half of the NV4500 is thicker, but it fits. you might need a different transmission support, but i dont remember (been a while since i read about it).

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That makes me feel a bit better. The NV4500 has the same mount points as the NV3500.

What I need to do is find someone who has a 1500 Ram with a manual, and take a crap ton of pics under there, then compare it to my auto and how it mounts. I hope I don't need to do any fabrication to make it work. I'm metal retartded unless it involves just bolting crap together. I'm a wood worker.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
wood working and metal working are basicly the same concepts metal just takes stronger tools

·
I R SMRAT.
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True. I've only tried welding one time though. My next door neighbor has a welder but is, by no means, an expert at it either. I cut cut, and bend minor things, but if I have to modify and weld some bracket like the guy in the link at the beginning of this thread, I might be up a creek.

As long as the NV3500 and 4500 share the same mounting holes and whatnot, I'll probably be ok. If I get a
hold of a 3500 bracket.

·
Yeehaw!
1,397 Posts
Subscribed!!

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
mounting should be the same one thing i give mopar credit for is interchangeability of its parts almost everything is swapable saves money on tooling

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.