DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to set up multiple amps and subs again. I have two amps rated for 500 watts RMS @ 2 ohms and two subs rated for 400 watts RMS @ 2 ohms. The system sounded really good in my Ram, but I moved it all to my wifes Durango. I am running 0/1 gauge wire to a block into two 4 gauge wires. I have a 4 gauge wire running from each amp ground to a different seat bolt. I have the RCA cables split from the rear of the head unit going to each amp. I also have the remote wire split as well. The subs call for 1.25 cu ft of air space per. So I bought a dual 12" box that is individually chambered. air tight box with 1.32 cu ft per side. Added some poly-fil.

The issue I am having is - when I am running both amps on identical settings, the audio sounds like crap. When I shut one amp of, doesn't matter how, the running side sounds amazing. I tried to make sure it wasn't a phase issue ( I flipped the RCA inputs at each amp, one at a time to see what would happen) I didn't try the speaker wires yet, and that could be a problem. I just wanted to see if anyone else had run into something like this before.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hmmmmm... Do your amps have a pass through channel? Like an input and output an each amp? If so try to run the RCAs to the first amp rather than splitting them and run another set from the first amp to the second amp.
Phase issues would be with the speaker wires but i don't see why both wouldn't work properly unless you're just not giving out enough voltage to your RCAs to split it up like that.
I'm glad to see that you're actually running 0 gauge not many people think its necessary lol. Sound like you know your stuff too!
You have your stock headunit or aftermarket?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aftermarket Sony with 3 pre outs. USB and AUX inputs

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ya that doesn't make any sense to me... Do your amps have an RCA output or no?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it worked out. It was late last night and I was losing my mind. I traced all my wiring and thought I had everything exactly right. Evidently, one of my subs is wired wrong inside the enclosure. I flipped the speaker wires at the amp out puts and all is good.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
be careful using polyfil. you're "increasing" air space in the eyes of the sub. Is that what you wanted to do?

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was temporary to test it out. The box is 1.32 cu ft per chamber. The subs are rated for optimum performance in a 1.25 enclosure. The subs sounds really good right now, I'm going to pull the poly-fill out to see how different it sounds. I didn't add much.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A little bit on the back wall won't hurt anything. Is 1.25 before or after displacement of the sub? Bc if it doesn't include the sub then polyfill is a good idea for it.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I should get with infinity on that. Their site doesn't say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.