DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance today to get my auburn installed. Install went smooth and i couldent have picked a better time to do it, because one of the clutch pack retaining clips fell out in my hand in two peices when I pulled the factory unit. Definantly got lucky on this one.

I do have have one question for the guys that know rear diffs. After the install, i went for a test drive. It makes no noises at any speed, under acceleration, or coasting except when I turn right. When I do I get a metal on metal rubbing sound. Only does it to the right. Could it be that the adjustmant might be a bit off, or do I have another issue. It sounds like my rear brakes are down metal to metal. Same sound. Only sounds like its coming from the right rear of the truck.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Could it be the fluid you are using? When I was experimenting with syn fluids. Amsoil SVO had a scraping noise so bad I thought the rear end was going to fall out.
Edit: or not enough friction modifier?

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im running the lucas 80-90 non synthetic like recommended by auburn with one bottle of there friction modifier which is six ounces and i used 2 quarts of gear oil. Correct amount for what it says on the bottle.

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took the truck out again today to see if i could figure something out. Found out the noise will go away when I apply pressure to the brakes. Would this cause an affect on rear end noise if it were making noise, or is it just brake noise and im worrying over nothing.

·
Site Administrator
22,963 Posts
The brakes will apply pressure to the axle itself for sure, but you'd think the noise at that point would be greater if something was off adjustment.

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats kinda what I was thinkin, but ive never gone this far into a diff before, and dont know to much about them.

·
Fueled by 1.21 jiggawatts
2,722 Posts
Are you positive its not just your brakes? Did you pull the rear rotors off and check the e-brake pads to rule those out? I'm not saying thats what it is, but that would be an easy one to rule out..

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no e brake. It fell apart awhile back,and i never go new parts for it. The rotors do have some rust build up on the outer edge, but ive never noticed the sound before. With how queit the sound is, it could have been there before, but i might not have heard it because i never really listened that close.

·
Cole
880 Posts
it couldn't hurt to probably crack it back open and see if it is out of adjustment. you will probably be able to tell quickly if you have a problem or not and be able to rule that out right away. i don't know much about them either that just what i would do.

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, i did the install myself.

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, adjsuted both. Gonna pop the cover and double check everything tomorrow. The sound seems to have gotten quiter since i got it together.

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, popped the cover today and found out the backlash wasent quite right. Got in a hurry and didnt think to recheck after I tightened everything down. Re-adjusted and everything is good now. No more noise.

·
Official HEMI SPORT Owner
1,359 Posts
It's now break-in time.....I'm happy for you it's fixed. No stress is a very good thing!!!!

·
2005 Hemi Ram
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's now break-in time.....I'm happy for you it's fixed. No stress is a very good thing!!!!
Thanks. No stress about is great. I did about have a heart attack from it today though. Was out test driving and decided to do a small launch to see what it would do, and while doing so, it spun about 5ft and my y-pipe slipped off the headers. It did that and went to extreme loud and the sound it made made me think I blew the rear end apart. I immediatly let off the gas, and threw into nuetral to listen for odd sounds, and thats when I realized it was just the y-pipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.