Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from a report in the "Car Connection"

"Atlanta Motor Speedway, located in Hampton, Ga., suffered severe storm-related damage on Wednesday evening as a result of what is believed to have been a tornado spawned by the aftermath of Tropical Storm Cindy.

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, track officials estimated the damage to the facility at "$25 to $40 million."

The newspaper reported that three of the track's scoring towers were blown over and the Weaver grandstand was left in tatters. The Speedway tower building, housing condominiums and track offices, also suffered heavy damage, with items from inside some of the condos being found a quarter-mile away.

Also damaged was the Richard Petty tribute garden, where flagpoles and lamp posts were uprooted, although its signature statue of Richard Petty giving an autograph to a young girl remained undamaged.

"We're looking at a massive cleanup and rebuilding job," speedway president Ed Clark was quoted as saying. "The big question is where do you start?"

The track's weekly Legends Series race scheduled for Thursday has been cancelled, but track officials say the damage will not affect the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series race scheduled for Oct. 30. Atlanta Motor Speedway is a property of Speedway Motorsports, Inc., a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: TRK) based in Charlotte and headed by O. Bruton Smith, which also owns Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway, Infineon (nee Sears Point) Raceway in Sonoma, Calif., Las Vegas Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway.-John F. Gardner "

·
Registered
476 Posts
just watched a clip on espn about that, definitly looks like some massive damage

·
Unregistered User
3,491 Posts
Looks pretty messed up, which is said b/c Atlanta is my favorite track. I'd love to go there in person some day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I sure hope they check the structural supports, before they rebuild. I'd hate to see some of the grand stands callapse because they were in a hurry to get the track ready for the race later this year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.