DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 13th 2002. I purchased my first full size truck in over 20 years. A 2001 Dodge 4x4 short bed with 5.2L V8. I couldn't wait to start with the mods. Since that time I've installed Gibson headers, Gibson dual side exit exhaust, MSD plug wires, brass distributor cap, and brass rotor, platinum plugs, a dual 2.5" air intake w/K&N cone filters on either side. At that point she really did well. 2 weeks ago, I installed one of Fastman's Throttle bodies. Dan was very helpful, and it did have better power.
Today I get in it to go to work and the "check engine" lite is on. Lately I've been pleagued with little BS that makes my think the truck I so dearly loved, is now a prostitute that can't get enough! Needless to say I'm beginning to get a little PO'd with diagnostics. The shop I've taken it to before says I have to bring it in and do something with the computer.
Any of you guys out there have any ideas on what the "H" is going on. I'm no mechanic, and I feel like I'm being taken for a money ride when every time I take the truck in for service, it's $300. I can't afford it, if every time I try to upgrade the performance, it costs me having to take it back to the shop for service.
All I wanted to do was help the truck breath better, have better spark, and get the exhaust out better.
Is that too much to ask? Well this site, and you readers have been very helpful on many questions I've had, so I thought I'd drop this note to any of you out there that may have some advise. Thanks in advance!!

Beatle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! I'm not sure what code. I know the older Dodge products, you could turn the key on and off and get a flash code, but this one doesn't do that.

Beatle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Well, I took the advise you guys gave me,( disconnect the battery), and low and behold, so far, no codes. I guess I'm always going to be one of those guys who thinks carberators. I just can't get used to some #%@# computer controling everything. It's a sign of the times. I'm off on a 6 hour trip to pick up my son from school. I'll see how it goes.
Thanks again,
Beatle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, to all who offered help. After the battery disconnect, reconnect. I now get a "P Done" code. I guess that means programing done.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Computers, you gotta love em. As I said earlier, all I wanted to do was make my truck breath better, and vent the spent gas faster. Now I get all the #$%#! I love to modify, but not being a mechanic, I can only go so far. I know the latest CODE I had, caused the dual side exit exhaust to break a brace on the pipes causing a rattle sound that completely overides the otherwise great sound of the truck. One step forward, three steps back. When it's all said and done, I hope to be back with a truck I really enjoy driving. Until then, I feel like I'm driving a prostitute!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.