DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
December 13th 2002. I purchased my first full size truck in over 20 years. A 2001 Dodge 4x4 short bed with 5.2L V8. I couldn't wait to start with the mods. Since that time I've installed Gibson headers, Gibson dual side exit exhaust, MSD plug wires, brass distributor cap, and brass rotor, platinum plugs, a dual 2.5" air intake w/K&N cone filters on either side. At that point she really did well. 2 weeks ago, I installed one of Fastman's Throttle bodies. Dan was very helpful, and it did have better power.
Today I get in it to go to work and the "check engine" lite is on. Lately I've been pleagued with little BS that makes my think the truck I so dearly loved, is now a prostitute that can't get enough! Needless to say I'm beginning to get a little PO'd with diagnostics. The shop I've taken it to before says I have to bring it in and do something with the computer.
Any of you guys out there have any ideas on what the "H" is going on. I'm no mechanic, and I feel like I'm being taken for a money ride when every time I take the truck in for service, it's $300. I can't afford it, if every time I try to upgrade the performance, it costs me having to take it back to the shop for service.
All I wanted to do was help the truck breath better, have better spark, and get the exhaust out better.
Is that too much to ask? Well this site, and you readers have been very helpful on many questions I've had, so I thought I'd drop this note to any of you out there that may have some advise. Thanks in advance!!

Beatle

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
What is the code you are getting that is setting off the check engine light??

·
An Army of One
1,227 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery after or during your install of the throttle body?
All you have to do to find the code is get in with it not running, put the key in turn it to on, then off, then on then off, then on and keep it there, then count the flashes
of the check engine light. When i say on, I mean the one just before it starts.
Try the battery first if you didn't already!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! I'm not sure what code. I know the older Dodge products, you could turn the key on and off and get a flash code, but this one doesn't do that.

Beatle

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Any parts store should be able to pull the code for you for free.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you've been getting a lot of check engine lights, it may not be a bad idea to buy yourself a code reader. I have one and it has saved me from taking my truck a number of times. Most of them will tell you not only the code but exactly what the code is as well so you don't even have to look it up. good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Well, I took the advise you guys gave me,( disconnect the battery), and low and behold, so far, no codes. I guess I'm always going to be one of those guys who thinks carberators. I just can't get used to some #%@# computer controling everything. It's a sign of the times. I'm off on a 6 hour trip to pick up my son from school. I'll see how it goes.
Thanks again,
Beatle

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, to all who offered help. After the battery disconnect, reconnect. I now get a "P Done" code. I guess that means programing done.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
When you disconnected the battery you erased all of your fault codes. Next time Scan it for codes before you disconnect your batt.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To all that helped! I just got anothe code this morning. P 0441 , whatever that means.
Any know?
Beatle

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
P0441 is a Evaporative Emissions Control System, Incorrect purge flow. The purge valve could possibly be stuck open or closed. Test the purge valve and sensors. I'll try to get some info up for you on how to test the system in a little bit if no one else does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Generally a P0440/441 purge flow insufficient can be due either puge canister or valve issues..but is 90% of the time due to the gas cap or the fuel tank not being completely sealed in some way!

·
Registered
217 Posts
ahhhhh remove all emission control devices. They are a government too to control how awesome our american pushrod motors could be. lol. That is strange that you keep getting all of these trouble codes on your rig. I haven't had a trouble code come up since the last time I went to the track. I guess she was having second thoughts about raping mustangs and rice burners. Other than that time none of my mods did anything to cause a CEL.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Computers, you gotta love em. As I said earlier, all I wanted to do was make my truck breath better, and vent the spent gas faster. Now I get all the #$%#! I love to modify, but not being a mechanic, I can only go so far. I know the latest CODE I had, caused the dual side exit exhaust to break a brace on the pipes causing a rattle sound that completely overides the otherwise great sound of the truck. One step forward, three steps back. When it's all said and done, I hope to be back with a truck I really enjoy driving. Until then, I feel like I'm driving a prostitute!

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Since the last thing you did to it was install a TB then check for vac leaks like DansDodge said. Mostly check for them around the TB and purge valve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.