DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm at a complete loss. About a year ago all my sensors "pegged" on my 2000 Dakota. I pulled over and shut off the engine. When I restarted everything was OK, but my check engine light was on. I got the code, P1491 which pointed me to the electric cooling fan. I checked the fuse, OK, checked the relay and it was fried. Replaced the relay, but the light stayed on. I didn't worry about it since it was winter. Made it thru the summer OK so never gave it a second thought. I'm in St. Louis so I have to get emmisions inspection and I failed becasue of the code. If I jumper across the common and N.O contact, the fan runs fine. While running, I have 12 V on one side of the relay coil. I check continuity from the other side of the relay coil to the PCM plug and it's OK. That's all ther is to it, I think. I've reset the code, but it's back as soon as I start the truck. I've read about an AC condenser fan fuse, but don't think I have one on my 2000. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Brian :help:

·
Registered
644 Posts
maybe try disconnecting the battery and then act like your starting the truck, this will reset the computer, then try and see if you still get the trouble code after that, once you get one they dont clear themselves just when you fix the problem that casued the CEL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've reset it with a scanner, but it comes back next time the car is off, then started. The wy it works is the light is set, then the pcm must turn it off if all is good. I know I have some "condition", just don't know what the condition is. The cooling fan circuit is in tact and works if I ground it manually. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to document the cause, it was a bad input on the pcm. Since it was considered emissions related, they are replacing it under warranty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.