DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear the rear bearing going, again on the 1500. The last time it was expensive to get the wheel and carrier bearing replaced.

Is it worth swapping in a used axle? And if I do, are there any factory limit-slip differentials for 1999?

·
kev
68 Posts
Just my opinion but going with used is risky to me. I like to save a buck when I can but who knows if the used one was in an accident and if there was any damage. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Kev

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kevinw1797 said:
Just my opinion but going with used is risky to me. I like to save a buck when I can but who knows if the used one was in an accident and if there was any damage. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Kev
A couple of the auto parts recyclers (I used to call them junkyards) offer 6 month warranty, and one has a $50.00 all you can carry day next month ($100 if you need two guys).

I need to go on the cheap this time, but what about finding a limited-slip. Worth it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've done the "auto parts recycler" thing on rearends, and have had success, and failure. The one thing that you should be able to do is remove the inspection cover and check all the internals for any unusual wear, and that the contact patch between the ring gear and pinion gear looks good. If the parts recycler will not allow this, then I would make sure to remove one from a donor vehicle that has the rearend still attached, so you get a good view of how well maintained the vehicle was. If they have all been removed, and the parts recycler will not allow an inspection, then go somewhere else.

My success with used rearend searches has resulted in finding some good "Brand F" 9 inch rearends with the nodular iron case on those all you can carry out in a wheelbarrow for $XX days. My failure was one that looked good on first inspection, but had internal bearings that were shot, and other problems from a water dunking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to a reputable truck parts guy here, He said he rarely finds a used 94-99 Corporate 9.25 that doesn't have pinion/carrier bearings issues.

He's got decent prices on all the repair parts, and can do the press work for me. I should be able to save a couple hundred in labor over having it done. He's has complete limited-slip carriers, too. Uoogh!

·
Registered
444 Posts
i've had pinion bearing failure myself and replaced every bearing for probably 4x less than buying a used or rebuilt axle. That's if you have a shop to do repairs. Only special tools needed are a dial indicator with magnetic base and large ratchet with a pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.