DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone it's been a looooong time since I've been on here! For those of you who remember me, I never was able to get my dakota fixed...I ended up selling it and went to the 'dark side' and bought a Sonoma ZR2.

Anyways, one of my buddies has an 06 Dakota. He liked what I did to my headlights on my ZR2 which was grounding out one of the low beam wires so that when I turned on my high beams, both low and high beams worked. He was wondering if there was a way to do this on his truck.

So have any of you guys done this? Like I said on mine it was just a matter of grounding out a yellow low beam wire on the driver side light. Thanks in advance for your replies!

Steve

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry, I don't own a newer Dakota, but I if I assume a couple things correctly...

I believe the new models use a 9008 dual-filament bulb for low and high. On single bulb systems like this, while technically you could wire it up to work, I wouldn't recomment it. It might be fine for short bursts (counted in seconds) but anything longer and you are, at the least, asking for a very short bulb life.

If these are like most then the low and high share a common ground, both in the wiring and in the bulb itself. The wiring wouldn't be too hard to remedy, the shared ground part of the bulb itself would be.

It would also be a lot of heat inside the headlamp housing, maybe too much, as well as the multi-funtion switch (it probably has all the power/wiring coming up thru the steering column and thru the switch, I doubt it has relays). If you don't change it to a relay system, I wouldn't expect a long life out of the MFS (on any of the big 3's trucks).

What he CAN do is to get some Sylvania Xtravision bulbs to replace them and, optionally, upgrade the stock wiring harness (even just a little more voltage can give a noticeable light ouput increase). http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Dodge/dodgehome.htm

(sorry if any sponsors carry them, feel free to replace/add to the above link)

The Silverstars just came out in this bulb also, but I don't personally like them. They suck in the rain, are more expensive and have a shorter life than the Xtravisions (which are just as bright, but without the "magical" blue coating...). I'm not aware of any other quality bulbs being made for this app.

If he wants another beam set-up, get some real <b>driving</b> lights. Aimed properly (and powered by a high-beam activated relay, ideally), they will give more light where it's needed in a high-beam situation vs just putting out more light in the wrong place(s) to make you <b>think</b> you are seeing better (it can actually make your long distance vision worse to use a low-beam or fog-light in addition to the highs...). A few exceptions aside, in most vehicles and situations, a low-high combo is not the way to go.

Between my Xtravisions (actually trying GE nighthawks at the moment), my homemade wiring harness and my Hella 500 Driving lights I have spent well under $200 on my lighting system. It is now atleast twice as effective as stock IMO, and worth every penny.

edit: sorry, that ended up pretty long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.