DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Grabbin life by the horns
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I just got my retro finished with the Morimotos. I noticed something that I had not with my cheaper projectors though. My passenger projector emits more of a 4300k and my driver the 6000k that they originally were. Im thinking I only notice now because I have the bulbs behind a premium lens on the morimotos or that the sodium mixture in the cheap HID bulbs were never correct to begin with. So after all the rambling my question is this. RFS sells the H1 XB35 which is the premium bulb but it runs $70.00 bucks! Supposively runs cooler and emits more light. Any of you think it's worth the money vs a cheaper Ebay replacement?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=235

·
War Eagle!
2,005 Posts
all of the aftermarket HID bulbs are china specials so I would say no. they are all going to be made the same way and have the same basic construction so the 10 buck ebays ones and those should be almost identical just with different packaging. the only bulb I have seen that this doesnt apply to is the vleds led bulbs that are crazy expensive, those are actually made differently and are worth the price bump over the competition but as far as HID bulbs, they are all the same

·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah Im familiar with Vleds as I have many of the LEDs offered. Although I disagree with the remarks towards all HIDs being China based. Ive seen bulbs mass-produced in Germany, Japan and not to mention Korea. The sodium mixtures in some HID bulbs are produced closer to factory specs, as with others (EBAY) the bulbs are produced so cheap that the mixture could be off even if the two bulbs state there a certain kelvin. Thats the prediction I seem to have. Both state 6000k, but the kelvin between the two are clearly off. Thats why I'm wondering if there is some special sodium mixture that the bulb TRS uses in order to make them better. It states that the bulb runs cooler and produces more light. I was thinking it had to do something with the mixture?

·
War Eagle!
2,005 Posts
it possibly could by a mixture problem, I'm sure todd and jeremy will chime in here soon and offer some installer/vendor input, and yeah phillips makes the top of the line HID kits IMO, it just seems like every bulb i have ever ordered that wasn't gonna break my bank were all stamped with a made in china sticker

·
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it possibly could by a mixture problem, I'm sure todd and jeremy will chime in here soon and offer some installer/vendor input, and yeah phillips makes the top of the line HID kits IMO, it just seems like every bulb i have ever ordered that wasn't gonna break my bank were all stamped with a made in china sticker
Ya Philips does make a hell of a kit, with an even bigger price tag and no Jeremy stay out of this. I dont need the kings input;). Nah j/k, but really I do wanna find out what's so special about these bulbs to make them that much more.

·
War Eagle!
2,005 Posts
if it were me I would give him a ring on tuesday if he doesn't see this post by then. he knew stuff about my application for HIDs I didn't even know I needed to worry about lol

·
Registered
31,160 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love working with the fellas at TRS, but 70 bucks just for bulbs.......seems a bit high. And, only 1 year warranty (and only if used with their ballasts). Now, with that said - Matt (TRS) knows his product, and I'm sure these bulbs are designed to work great with the projectors he helped design (MH1s).

Its a tough call man. I am very happy with the kits I run from Todd - and I know he's got the wiring down and his customer service is second to none (even Matt @ TRS - but he's right up there!! - those guys are the BEST guys I have ever dealt with!)

·
Tricked out Ram
12,635 Posts
When I bought my wifes Mini Cooper it had one bad HID bulb. The dealer (BMW) wanted $200 per bulb. I got on ebay and bought TWO D2S 6k bulbs for $10 shipped on ebay and put them in. That was close to 2 years ago and they are still working fine and look great.

I will never spend any more than 20 on a set of bulbs

·
Motörhead For Life!
8,398 Posts
OP if you where closer I would let you try the set of H1s i have..

I'll look tomorrow to see if I have an extra set if so you can have them for shipping..
If not there is a seller on Ebay that I have been using, I've got 4 sets from them so far.I'll look them up when i get home.

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
retro has some good things on there web site anybody know about a prmo code to knock the price down to cover the shipping

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
should of read closer

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
thanks it has been a long week

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.