DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed, but not terribly impressed with the quality of the product. Pin holes for the RPM and MPH gauges were too big and the lettering isn't as sharp as expected. I had to superglue the pins in the pin holes so that they wouldn't fall out. They look a bit fuzzy in the day and even more fuzzy at night. Extra light is coming through around the needle seats as well. The odometer window is longer and not as tall as the stock, which causes a bit of a match up problem. Finally, the idiot lights do not show up very well during the day. Finally, there is two types of backing on it. Circles that have a 3M or Scotch adhesive and then a bit of foam around the idiot light and turn signal portions. The adhesive doesn't seem to stick very well and the foam was so thick, it bulged out the facing. I had to pick at the foam to trim it down to the right size.

It's really not a bad looking piece, but I expected better. I know NuImage makes a similar style facing, but paying over $100 for a flimsy piece of plastic that cost *maybe* a dollar to produce isn't going to happen anytime soon. The $25 I paid for it seemed overpriced too.

Pics below are the best I could do this evening. Like I said, they really don't look too bad, I guess I was just expecting more. :(

Attachments

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
will getting the Nu-image bezel, A/C panel and light panel make a difference?
another trick I've learned from the best is to paint your needle heads and back of the needles. Sand the back of the needle first lol

Attachments

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not so much the look of the dash. I like the way a/c and light panels look on your interior, but it would be just a bit too much for mine I think. It's more of just a quality of the product type thing. The plastic might be too thin because light shows through where it should be black and the numbers on the gauges just aren't really sharp. Everything is a bit blurry.

I see the one you have though is similar to mine in that the odometer window is too long, but not high enough. It's just little stuff like that which I notice and really bothers me after a while. Unfortunately, there is no way I can go back to the stock black facing because it looked to be melted on with a heat gun or something around the edges of openings and bits tore off when taking it off. Even worse is that the pins on the RPM and MPG gauges had to be superglued to keep them from falling out, so I'm questioning if I do change this thing out to another version, I won't be able to get the pins off without breaking them. I guess it's just something I'm going to have to live with.

Good news is that I am going to be painting the needles heads silver and I'm going for a brushed aluminum interior. I've seen some installed pictures of the setup I'm looking at and it's *extremely* sharp. I'll likely get the a/c control insert done in brushed aluminum as well. Maybe that will distract me from this guage thing for a while.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
I hear ya. Mine gauge had holes for the pins, so I didn't have to pull em. I did cut the OEM to cut down on the shadows. I hope you like it when your finished.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait, you placed your facing over top of your OEM facing? I removed mine completely. I think I'm reading that right, but not sure. You've got the same brand as me, but a slightly different style. I don't see how the difference in quality is so big.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
yea right on top. The idiot lights didn't line up and it would create a shadow. I cut that part out. No more shadow. I have the rev glow.

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Step 6. Remove all needles with tool supplied or with a kitchen fork. Remove the black face from your stock gauges. It is simply held together with 3M adhesive.

But apparently, it pays when you don't follow directions like rock apparently has done. I think I'm going to try that and see if it looks better. Thanks a lot. :rck:

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
Directions? what direction? All I received was the face plate. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. If you pull your needles back off make sure you hook em up too...

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, well I tried what you suggested rock, but the markings on both the speedo, tach and all other gauges were just too off. I got that shadow effect you were talking about on everything and nothing I could do would line it up the way it should be. I ended up taking the original back off.

However, when I took the facing off, I noticed that there was a clea plastic adhesive on the front of it that was just barely starting to bubble up. I removed that clear adhesive front and it looks *much* better.

I never noticed it when first installing it. Instructions made no mention of it. However, not that it's gone, it looks ten times better. :)

I also ended up removing all of the foam from the back. Made the fit better as well.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
glad to hear you have it the way you like it. That's all that counts...

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
coachholland said:
snip* I noticed that there was a clea plastic adhesive on the front of it that was just barely starting to bubble up. I removed that clear adhesive front and it looks *much* better.
Good catch, that was probably the same protective stuff on vcr and telephone displays.

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
good thing you caught it before it melted on there.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.