DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2002 ram with a 5.9L and looking to beef up the power. Searching online all I can is something like the Cold-air intakes. Seems like the Hemi just killed all the aftermarket for the last surviving 5.9L

Any suggestions or websites? Thanks

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I just saw a for sale ad by KRC Performance. This is a 408 stroker that was in their 2002 shop ram.

0.030 Ross pistons, 10.3 Compression, Eagle cast 4" stroker crank, Eagle rods, KRC 248/248 108 lsa cam, Scorpion 1.6 extruded Aluminum rockers, Fully ported Edelbrock Aluminum heads, Mopar M-1 4bbl manifold, double roller chain, melling HV, Clevite bearings, Mopar lifters, CHM SFI damper. All new machine work, no miles. This combo made 468 rw on the chassis dyno. Over $9000. Customer backed out, we will take $6900. Motor is completed, on a stand, ready to ship.

We will cut you a sweet deal on an SCT tuner to go with this motor if you don't already have one. We will cut you a deal on install if you are local to Cocoa, FL or wish to ship us your truck.

Call 321-635-8866

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
lol..I had to laugh Sean...he just got here (welcome to DT btw) , he's askin about a Cai and your already pushin a stroker on him! :D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
lol. Well he did say the hemi has killed the 5.9 aftermarket, is there anything left. So...well.....sure there are a few things left (strokers) :)

When I had my 5.9, the biggest power increase was a flash. Now that SCT is avail, I say do SCT first. Then the 2nd biggest power gaining mod was 1.7 roller rockers. HUGE increases with those. Headers were next. Then the cai, u/d pulley, throttlebody were all the same in performance gains.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Welcome, not really sure what your looking for, the bolt on stuff, dual exhaust, headers, eFans, throttle body, cam, that stuff is available, cruse our sponsors.;)

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
Sean, can the 5.9 in Ram's be modded like the 5.9 Dak's? I helped my brother in law with his mod's on his 4 x 4...we did typical cai (Afe Brute Force), magnaflow catback with e-cutout, jba mids, M1 intake, Msd ignition and wires, HS 1.7 rockers, cam (i forgot which one), efan, superchips wth psc1... he went from runnin high 15's to consistent 14.3's... his next move will be to Sct (and you..he was talkin about you even before I mentioned you..hehe)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Just got a 2002 ram with a 5.9L and looking to beef up the power. Searching online all I can is something like the Cold-air intakes. Seems like the Hemi just killed all the aftermarket for the last surviving 5.9L

Any suggestions or websites? Thanks
krc performance .com, cai,efan,msd,headers,intake,t.b,cat back exhaust,best of all,SCT TUNE, or what hemifever said 408 stroker. friend at work has krc built 408 and it kicks ass 500+hp

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If you have the cash, that motor would be the way to go. Marty builds some really nice stuff too.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
interested in 5.9 mods also,(picked up a 99 Dakota R/T).SCT/Hemifever tuning sounds good,as it has my 4.7 running better than ever.i installed superchips on the R/T couple days ago,and was not impressed.so took it back off and installed it back on the hemi where i can feel it.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
Theres tons of stuff for the 5.9, how much you looking to spend?

johnny.
horsepower ain't cheap,i know.i put over 2 grand in the 4.7 dakota easily.really just trying to get a game plan together now,and start purchasing/installing mods in a couple months,when my money is more abundant.i want just the basics for now,tuning,headers,exhaust,throttle body,electric fan....may lead to more down the road,knowing me.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
horsepower ain't cheap,i know.i put over 2 grand in the 4.7 dakota easily.really just trying to get a game plan together now,and start purchasing/installing mods in a couple months,when my money is more abundant.i want just the basics for now,tuning,headers,exhaust,throttle body,electric fan....may lead to more down the road,knowing me.
Your absolutely right--I have a little more than basics --but that don't mean theres not more work to be done lol. I'm looking at m1, 4:10 or 4:56 gears, stall converter and maybe a bigger cam if that can be worked in with my na 1.7 rr.
so many mods so little time.

johnny.

·
99 R/T,43K miles
613 Posts
Your absolutely right--I have a little more than basics --but that don't mean theres not more work to be done lol. I'm looking at m1, 4:10 or 4:56 gears, stall converter and maybe a bigger cam if that can be worked in with my na 1.7 rr.
so many mods so little time.

johnny.
yea i'm going to have to do a little research on this M1 everyone is talking about,must be a quality mod.also,seen some 1.6 RR's earlier,wondering are they better or worse than the 1.7s,or are the different sizes chosen for different applications(cam,heads)?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
I know when my brother-in-law Eddie(sanjoed on dt..he has a 2000 qc 5.9 4x4 dak) started hangin out with our norcal hemi group he was runnin the slowest 1/4's (I think high 15's/low 16's)...he has since added all the goodies we could think of (M1 intake, larger tb, headers, 1.7 rockers, rt cam, jba mids, cutout, msd ignition...), he's now runnin one of the faster times in our group (14.3's na)... he has also added a bottle which got him to 13.3's....he's come along way...I can't run away from him anymore..

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...he's also runnin 4.10's (from 3.55's)...4.56's are too tall with the wheel setup he has (stock 17's street, 28" dr's at track)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey ya'll thanks for the replys, I like the idea of the 408 stroker kit, and then do some typical bolt on accessories. For that stroker kit is the only modification needed to notch the bottom cylinder wall for the connecting rod clearance? Any have experience with this and any possible issues to arise?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
go for krc 408, you wont regret it!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.