DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
My coinholder adds 15 HP!
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the days are ticking down until I put my lift on, is there anything I should know before I dive into this?? Any pointers?? For those of you that don't know this weekend i'm putting on a 6" skyjacker lift and 4 pro comp reservoir shocks.
Raj mentioned something about brake lines. Will need longer lines with this kit??
A friend of mine asked about the driveshaft. Will it be long enough or am I going to have to do some mods??
What exactally does this indexing ring that came with it do??

·
Registered
214 Posts
You will need to have your front drive shaft modified. And if it is like mine prepare for trouble. Call Sky Jacker and ask them who they recommend modifiy it for you.

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unkleslapnutz said:
You will need to have your front drive shaft modified. And if it is like mine prepare for trouble. Call Sky Jacker and ask them who they recommend modifiy it for you.
I thought the exhaust to be modified to fit around the front driveshaft. Why does the driveshaft have to be modified??

·
Registered
214 Posts
If it is 1500 the end of the shaft near the transfer case is a CV-Joint and will not stand up to the new angel. It will need to made longer with a double u-joint design. If it is a 2500 then I am not sure.

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have any pics of your so I know what i'm getting into??

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought that the indexing ring rotated the transfer case to bring the front driveshaft down for better angles and shorter lengths.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I dont have any pictures...but if you want some let me know and this weekend when i am putting my new airhorns on i will snap some. I dont have any of the drive shaft when it went south BOTH times on me. I dont know what Sky Jacker has done to fix the problem but ProComp is having a bitch of a time with it.

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get an indexing ring but wasn't sure what exactally it did. I sure hope thats what it's for!!

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
the indexing ring turns the transfer case...essentially clocking it so that your driveshaft is not at the same angle it would have been without it

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
byrdawg13 said:
the indexing ring turns the transfer case...essentially clocking it so that your driveshaft is not at the same angle it would have been without it
Outstanding!!! Thanks byrdawg13!!!
It sounds like I might leak some fluid from the transfer case when i'm installing the indexing ring. What goes in there (fluid) Is it 80-90?

Now what about brake lines...anyone know if I will have to lengthen them??

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
byrdawg13 said:
yes, and lengthens it about an inch too

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
Here is a pick of the custom front drive shaft that i had built for my 1500 recently. The stock CV lasted about a year or so and eventually wore through the boot. This new unit is far superior and is the exact length to fit with the lift.
The transfer case is on the right. You can also see the remains of the grease from the old CV that flung all over once it gave way.

Good luck doing it yourself...do you have a press?

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
ce2flaco That is what happened to mine. And it looks just like that. Only now the part from the double "U" caused the transfer case to go south.

Does anyone have a picture of the "Index Ring"? This is the frist thing I have heard of one and if it will fix mine I will have the dealership install one. I pay for 4-wheel drive every month and I am going on my 2nd month without it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As far as brake lines.. You should be fine with the stockers. You wont be flexxing that much to get close to maxxing out your lines. If you do, just replace em', they are cheap. Dont worry about it until you see if you need them. I have the stock lines on my Jeep TJ right now, and that flexxes way more than my ram EVER would.

Josh

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a couple pics of the indexing ring

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
unkleslapnutz said:
ce2flaco That is what happened to mine. And it looks just like that. Only now the part from the double "U" caused the transfer case to go south.

Does anyone have a picture of the "Index Ring"? This is the frist thing I have heard of one and if it will fix mine I will have the dealership install one. I pay for 4-wheel drive every month and I am going on my 2nd month without it.
Not to bag on your lift, but i was going to go with the pro comp as well until more than a couple informed people warned me away from it. So i saved up some more cash and went with the Superlift. It has their "FIT" design with an intigrated skid plate that makes the front suspension very sturdy.
As far as i know, all the indexing ring does is make up for the shrinkage in the front shaft after the lift increases the distance. I'm assuming that under extreme articulation or maybe if you get it airborn there might be a chance of a shorter shaft sliding out at the transfer case. No one has told me this, it just seems to make sense.

My new shaft is a bit longer than the stock unit and has a u joint at the front diff and two u joints near the transfer case with a sort of ball joint between the upper u joints in an "H" formation. it's ridiculously flexible. I'm very happy with it.

If your new shaft is the same length as the old one, an indexing ring or spacer might help you out. Please don't take it to the dealership though. Why pay for it? It's only four bolts and the shaft will come right out. Just be sure to use thread lock on the bolts when you reinstall them.

·
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ce2flaco said:
Not to bag on your lift, but i was going to go with the pro comp as well until more than a couple informed people warned me away from it. . .
I didn't get pro comp, I got a skyjacker..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well the only reason that I have a Dodge right now is that the dealership installed the lift. The way it sits now minus the few bolt ons is what it looked like with less than 100 miles on it. So it is all covered by them. I am not paying for anything at all. The ProComp lift is pretty sturdy from what I can tell and other than this driveshaft problem I have zero complaints in the ride or the driveablitly of my truck. The 1st time the shaft went out(with the cv-joint) ProComp covered the mod and now this time they are covering the shaft again and the dealership covered the transfer case. It was pretty much an impulse buy as I had just left the Ford dealership looking at the F250 powerstroke. It was the lift + Hemi that sold me more so the lift from the way it looked. I wouldnt warn anyone from the lift just warn them of the problems I am having with the drive shaft. What I cant belive is that no one else with a 1500 and a 5" or higher lift is having this issue. Maybe it is just my truck. But to tell the truth I am about ready to throw in the rag and look at the Ford and Chevy 2500 trucks. I have done everything I know to make this work. I am just kinda pissed that I am now on my 2nd and going on 3rd month with out my 4-wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.