DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty, my mastiff loves riding with me and my wife wherever we go. I put her bed in the back on the fold flat floors, but she always manages to push it out of the way somehow. When she is on the bare carpeted fold flat floor she slides around like she is on ice and I hate it. Has anyone come up with a solution for this or what you do in the back area? She is around 140lbs so she isnt tiny, I try to make it as comfertable as possible for her. Thanks!

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
I found that My 90 # german shepherd would stay well on the rear seat, I found a set of vinyl seats to put in for the time being (also works well with the kids, easy to wipe up, and has traction for the dogs)

·
Registered
201 Posts
i would maybe design a platform out of plywood and insert it on the floor so the top is level with the seat. that way she has a more open space. put some sort of non slip surface on the wood.

not sure if that would really work lol but thats the best i can come up with on my first coffee today lol.

i have a 71 pound american staffordshire and she has a hard time on my seat in the back. on long trips she goes mental. if its warm out i would put her in the box on a extra large dog bed. and secure her to the hooks. or a large crate in the back.

the pefect thing for a dog is an SUV. usuallly when we take her to the vet we take her car.

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
Id either try the plywood idea or just letting her on the back seat, or a couple towels/blankets on the fold flat thing.

My Newfie is ~135lbs and I just let him sit up front. He stays in the seat pretty well. Could do that and have the wife sit in the back lol. jk

·
Registered
201 Posts
a newfie eh! Nice dogs lol. BIG dogs. he's only 135? i thought they were 160+ dogs

i cant imagine what your food bill is. in canada espcially on the east coast you see these alot. great dogs

·
Verde SAR
361 Posts
My dog rides in the front seat. I made a platform that covers the foot well and lets her see over the dash when she is laying down. It is covered with carpet and she wears a harness connected to the seat belt.

She's a 65# mut I found on the road when she was a puppy. Spent three years training her as an air scent search and rescue dog but she hates all other dogs in the world and will attack even one three times her size as soon as she sees it.

·
Vroom, psssst
3,055 Posts
a newfie eh! Nice dogs lol. BIG dogs. he's only 135? i thought they were 160+ dogs

i cant imagine what your food bill is. in canada espcially on the east coast you see these alot. great dogs
Hes not one of the bigger ones but at 1 point he was around 150 but was fat so we cut back on food. Our other one before we had to put him down was around the same weight. His dad at 11 months was 150 and he was a monster. Our one that we had to put down, his dad was 180 somethin so idk where the small gene came in lol.
But really food isnt that bad, just a scoop of dry food and half a can of wet food twice a day and they're good. But even at 135 hes a solid dog, extremely strong

·
Verde SAR
361 Posts
Aimee's front seat set up:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Of course for larger dogs adjustments would have to be made.....

·
Registered
868 Posts
ive got an english bulldog and i put her upfront and she rests her head on the center console and goes to sleep lol laid back dog!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I use blankets in the back with the floors folded out for my 2 but its getting the hair out that I've givin up on its like emmbedded in the underpart of the seat and the fold outs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Id either try the plywood idea or just letting her on the back seat, or a couple towels/blankets on the fold flat thing.

My Newfie is ~135lbs and I just let him sit up front. He stays in the seat pretty well. Could do that and have the wife sit in the back lol. jk
I have a Newfie as well..he is 170lb now. Awesome dogs!

I put the fold flat out and just throw a dog bed on it...never had a prob.

Here's his pic, just because I love him!

Homer:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
id get some carpet and cover the area with it should be confortable for her and not cost you an arm and a leg

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
There's a guy I work with who made the ply wood thing. He made it so it goes all the way across driver to pass and is level with the rear seat. A piece of carpet keeps his seats nice. I have a duelth trading rear seat cover. It's canvas and heavy duty. I use it for my yellow lab

·
Registered
704 Posts
i put both my dogs in the box of the truck lol....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
here is what I did.

rounded the corners and edges

got some 2 in by 24 in foam padding from hobby lobby and used spray adhesive to glue it to the board

Then got a 4x4 from home depot with some rubber footings just in case so the wood legs wouldnt rub through the carpet after extended use

I then wrapped in in this dark brown burlap type material that i got from Hobby Lobby as well. I chose this fabric for the durability, my rotty has some big claws. I know that some of it is uneven, where I stretched it harder in some spots but im no pro anyways.

and here is my boy enjoying himself it puts him near level with the arm rest.and there is no slipping and sliding around. there are actually three support legs on the bed. it may be overkill but it works. the board is the same stuff speaker boxes are made of, it was the thickest Home Depot sold and lighter than any other material. also the bed fits snug against the seats and doors of the truck, so there is no chance of him being injured from a leg falling in a hole. The bed is also light enough so that I can easily maneuver it in and out of the truck.

·
Verde SAR
361 Posts
good job!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all! Great ideas I will look into these! She loves to rest her head on my center counsel and snooze!

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is where my "large" dog sits.

Sometimes she thinks she is large.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
My 125 lb Rott/Am Bully/Boxer & his throne...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.