DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
I do like the Rebel, though my responses seem to be against it. It's a great looking truck, and saves you from having to do a lot of the modifications yourself. However, as srtdodge05 noticed (I did too) the sticker of nearly $50K is a bit steep for what it is.

I really like the look. Unfortunately a lot of the stuff I like falls a little short. I like the two tone (which is one of the things that drew me to my Outdoorsman in '12). I like the red accent interior, but don't like that they are leather trimmed instead of full leather. I also don't think I'd like red trim on any other color truck but red. It just wouldn't make sense. I could even get past that if they made the ventilated seat an option.
I like that it comes with the leveling kit already on. Nice touch but you can do the exact same upgrade to a non-Rebel model cheaper (same springs, and Bilstein struts and all). It does save you some work if you can't do it yourself though, so I can see the benefit there.
I like that it has off-road tires. Like the leveling kit, it's a nice touch. I like that they went with a 34" tire this time instead of the 33" that they used on my Outdoorsman. Not really a down side, but for what they're charging you can find a different set of rims/tires for any non-Rebel model.
I like the aggressive bumper and grille, but all Rams will have that grille next year, which will kill it's unique factor.
I like the hood, but it's just the Sport hood. For the $750 Dodge charges extra for that hood, you can find an aftermarket one that is actually functional.
In the end, I like the Rebel. It's a great looking truck, with some nice features. I just think it could have been better than it ended up being.

To me it still strikes me as a variation of the Outdoorsman. All the features the Rebel has, my Outdoorsman had similar things. Sure the tires were different, but they were AT tires, not available on other models. The suspension was .75" tall than other models instead of 2". Same gears, same floor mats, same color shceme. The biggest difference is the leather trimmed interior and updated front end. Once all Rams go to that same front end it's not really going to be any different than an Outdoorsman with leather trimmed seats. Obviously I like the Outdoorsman, that's why I owned one, but they could have done so much more with the Rebel. It should have been something like an Outdoorsman with all the options. Kind of like a Sport Outdoorsman. You get all the cool off-road type stuff, with all the fancy gadgets like Enter-N-Go, ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, etc. That's what I was expecting it to be. Not that I really expected it to be Raptor competition, but rather I expected it to be a loaded Outdoorsman rather than just the same basic thing with a different grille, bumper and hood.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't like the sport hood on the rebel. I think they could of done something little different. If I do get one I think it will be a 2016 when ram is building more of them. Next is going to be a Rebel or a Laramie if I go with another 1500.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Shots;6006794I like the aggressive bumper and grille said:
Really? I thought it was just the Rebel and Limited with new grilles. Bummer, IMO both are super ugly compared to the classic style.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Really? I thought it was just the Rebel and Limited with new grilles. Bummer, IMO both are super ugly compared to the classic style.
The 2017 Rams will have a full redesign. I don't know why they would change the grille on all the models for just one year. I read that the rebel and the Limited 1500/2500 will have the different grille only.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
It may be just the two trims. All I know is there's a Ram sitting on the local lot with the new grille. It's not identical but the same basic design. It's also chrome instead of argent. Actually the one on the lot looks like the chrome fairy threw up on it. Waaaaayyyyy too much chrome, so it probably is a Laramie.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Yup, that's it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I saw one at the local dealership. I don't like the front end at all. And a knob to change gears? Has to have a console shifter. What I do like though is you can peel those big ugly RAM letters off the tailgate and have a nice clean look.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I saw one at the local dealership. I don't like the front end at all. And a knob to change gears? Has to have a console shifter. What I do like though is you can peel those big ugly RAM letters off the tailgate and have a nice clean look.
8 spd is knob only. The letters on the tailgate are twice the size they should be.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The 2018 model year RAM 1500 I believe is getting a complete makeover, in and out. So save $$ and wait.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
...... And a knob to change gears? Has to have a console shifter.....
The knob is actually pretty nice. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I like that I've got more room in my console for stuff. No reason to take up space for a big fat shifter, that's all electronic too. Heck I'm surprised they didn't go with a push button instead of the dial, but I assume they used the dial because it gives you a little bit of a mechanical feel. The dial really is nice though.

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
One thing I didn't notice if the Rebel came with full time 4x4. I know on the outdoorsman its only part time for some reason.

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
Nope, no full time on the Rebel. Just like the Outdoorsman it's 4 high, 4 low and 2wd. Here's a shot from the Rebel. Instead of the blank button above 2wd, my truck show 4 auto, or full time, or whatever Dodge calls it. So it looks like Rebel's 4wd is set up like the Outdoorsman. I don't know, maybe that's a more robust configuration? Or maybe it's just a way for Dodge to sell different trim levels. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Don't fear the sheepdog
6,404 Posts
The lack of Enter-N-Go is the deal breaker for me. Maybe they'll add some of the goodies for the year. The first year for cars/trucks tend to be where they learn what people really want (or don't want).

·
Grab Life By The Balls
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The lack of Enter-N-Go is the deal breaker for me. Maybe they'll add some of the goodies for the year. The first year for cars/trucks tend to be where they learn what people really want (or don't want).
Enter N Go is that the keyless system?

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
Nope, no full time on the Rebel. Just like the Outdoorsman it's 4 high, 4 low and 2wd. Here's a shot from the Rebel. Instead of the blank button above 2wd, my truck show 4 auto, or full time, or whatever Dodge calls it. So it looks like Rebel's 4wd is set up like the Outdoorsman. I don't know, maybe that's a more robust configuration? Or maybe it's just a way for Dodge to sell different trim levels. :dunno:
Yes, the 4wd on the Rebel and Outdoorsman, and many other lower trims, is the more robust 4wd. It gives you a true lock when you do 4wd lock. On the models with the full time 4wd, even when you select 4wd lock it is not truly locked... it's what is known as "soccer mom 4wd". If you are doing serious off-roading, you want the full lock. That's why the Rebel is configured that way. My Laramie has the soccer mom 4wd, which is fine for me because I like the full-time in partly ice conditions and don't do any rock crawlin.

·
2014 1500 4x4 Laramie CC
431 Posts
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.