DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done it on some of my older cars but, not sure if I want to try it on the Ram. I've always had somewhat of a tough time sealing up the top of the pipe joint (facing the bottom of the body) and keeping the weld clean. Has anyone done their own exhaust and, if so, what tip/trick can you pass along? I stole a makeup/compact mirror from the wife when I did my CJ exhaust but, it still came out with some boogery welds on the top.

I'm hoping to weld in my cutout rather than pay the exhaust shop to do it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I didn't have a hard time with my exhaust. Although I'm a pretty short guy (5'6" tall) so I can actually sit up under my truck and get into a position to actually see the whole pipe. But you can get an adapter at auto bone. Say your new muffler is 2.5 which is the same size as your truck pipe. put the adapter on, then clamp it so it's air tight. Then you can spot weld around it. I did this on my Dodge stealth and it worked great. I also took two old scew drivers and weled them to the sides of the adapter so as to make it more stable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've also found it benificial to just turn down the heat as much as possible. This lets you have more time to get a nice bead even if you can't see it. Mine is a wire feed so I can dial down the speed of the wire and the heat and it does a really good job.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yes. All I changed was the muffler though. The hardest part of the whole deal was actually removing the old pipes. The factory really torques down those clamp. They were so tight that they riveted the inside pipe so I had to use the air chizel and peel it apart. As far as welding, I welded it all together on the ground then just clamped the last connectionunder the truck without welding it. 3" Pipe was expensive though. I only needed about 10 inches. All the parts stores carried was a 10 foot section for $38.00

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.