DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to splice into the rear cargo light or dome light wiring near the floor or under the hood of the truck so that I can mount low current white LED's underneath the truck to light up the ground when you walk up.

My preference is the cargo light since it can also be activated with the switch on the dash..

Also, this is for a 2006 2500 Quad Cab.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Hmmm. The cargo light/CHMSL gets power from the front of the roof. When I installed my brake light flasher, the harness ran toward the dome light. Looking at the wiring diagram, it appears the cargo lights are run off a rd/yl lead. Could be a pink/drk blue (sorry). Best bet will be to check those two with a VOM to see for sure which is the cargo light. The ground is traditional black.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
I tapped into the cargo light to add lights in my tool box and in the bed, since I have a tonneau and its real dark under there. I picked off the wire under the dash and used it to trigger a relay. You have a 03 and I have 08 so the color code can be different but mine looks like white with black strip but the book calls it white with tan strip. How I find the wire is I use a wire tracer. I pulled the cargo light off and pulled the bulb out and hooked up the trace generator to the hot wire and then when under the dash with the tracer and found it. Its a lot quicker than looking for color codes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
piper18 said:
I tapped into the cargo light to add lights in my tool box and in the bed, since I have a tonneau and its real dark under there. I picked off the wire under the dash and used it to trigger a relay. You have a 03 and I have 08 so the color code can be different but mine looks like white with black strip but the book calls it white with tan strip. How I find the wire is I use a wire tracer. I pulled the cargo light off and pulled the bulb out and hooked up the trace generator to the hot wire and then when under the dash with the tracer and found it. Its a lot quicker than looking for color codes.
I like the Tracer idea. Did you find it up underneath the glove box somewhere?

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
its a big bundle that is on the drivers side. Its the bundle that comes from above the large aluminum casting the holds the steering wheel. You can also get the wire from the windshield post on the drivers side. I hooked the tracer to the wire and I could track it through the headliner across the roof.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
piper18 said:
its a big bundle that is on the drivers side. Its the bundle that comes from above the large aluminum casting the holds the steering wheel. You can also get the wire from the windshield post on the drivers side. I hooked the tracer to the wire and I could track it through the headliner across the roof.
Good to know, thanks for the info. Now I need to get my hands on a tracer. back in the Navy, I had access to all sorts of neat test equipment... but I don't have that many of those neat toys in my garage. :(

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
you can get them a home depot or menards

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
piper18 said:
you can get them a home depot or menards
Yep, I was thinking of stopping by HD tonight. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.