DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing my muffler with a section of straight pipe ,and keeping the resonator . I know back in the 90's a company called SLP sold an exhaust for Camaro's and Firebirds called a Loudmouth exhaust that had replaced the muffler with a resonator ,and it sounded a little bit louder then a Flowmaster . Has anyone tried this with a Ram ? ,If so how does it sound ?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Mad Titan did that with his truck. It sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, I did!
I used a piece of 3" inner diameter exhaust pipe that is 40 inches long to replace my muffler.
My only restrictions from the cat back are the bends and the resonator.
My truck idles quietly and raps out well during hard acceleration - there is no denying that it is a truck.
Gave me about 1 mpg and shaved the 35 pounds of HUGE muffler.
That thing is like a friggin water heater under there! It's HUGE!

HUGE I tell ya!

Did I mention it's HUGE?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Mad Titan, I have on '05 4.7, can I do the same with mine? If so, is that the exact measurments? thanks!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well, I had access to my wife's van so I pulled the muffler in my driveway and then measured it from end to end.
I drove the van to the exhaust shop and requested the 40 inch pipe and asked to have both ends notched.
I took it home and slid it over the stock pipes and used the band clamps from the stock muffler to fasten the new pipe in place.
I haven't had any problems with this swap.

I will warn you that during the 1-2 shift under heavy load (right foot buried) there is a moment of low back pressure and the exhaust let's out a good blast.

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - shift - BWAAAAAH!! - Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I love it.
If I time it just right I can blast my exhaust at car's in the right lane and scare the crap out of people.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool , thanks for the replies ,Guess I'm gonna stop by Monroe muffler see if they can swap out the muffler for some straight pipe .

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
Mad Titan said:
I will warn you that during the 1-2 shift under heavy load (right foot buried) there is a moment of low back pressure and the exhaust let's out a good blast.

Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - shift - BWAAAAAH!! - Vrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I love it.
If I time it just right I can blast my exhaust at car's in the right lane and scare the crap out of people.
Mine does that too and i have a Magnaflow muffler but im soon to be adding an exhaust cutout.

Or you can let off right before it shifts and step on it again and it wont blast as loud or at all.

BB

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
jrhodes said:
Mad Titan, I travel with my kids (2&4) in our 04 Hemi, would your mod be too loud for them do ya think?
J, I have 3 kids 6,4 and 2 and it does not disturb them.
If anything the low tone lulls them to sleep.
I don't have a resonance problem in the cab of the truck.

At one point I ran the truck without an exhaust and at 70+ mph it hurt my ears BAD.

Guys, it's a cheap and easy mod that will make your exhaust a little louder and more free flowing - you're taking out a big restriction.

My piece of straight pipe cost me $25 from the muffler shop.
If you don't like it then just slide your muffler back on and you're out the $25.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
HemiRamOn20s said:
Or you can let off right before it shifts and step on it again and it wont blast as loud or at all.

BB
YES! I've noticed the same thing!

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the muffler taken off . WOW , it really sounds good . I did the same thing on a 98 Ram with a 5 speed ,and it had a really loud rap to it ,but the resonator gives it just the right sound. No regrets at all ,and saved quit a bit of $$$ then if I had gone for the Flowmaster.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Glad it worked out for you GTA! Did you do the same as Mad Titan? I wanted to, but no one around here (Hawaii) has a pipe with a 3" inside dia. I may need to bring it in from the mainland.

·
Up The Irons!
279 Posts
I think I'm going to have to try this! 40" pipe, 3" ID.....what could be easier? Hell, it's worth a shot. At best, you get a sweet exhaust for a few bucks rather than spending another month's payment on a system. At worst, you yank it out and put the muffler back on.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
We're gonna have a bunch of badass sounding Hemi's rolling around here!

:rck: :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mad Titan said:
We're gonna have a bunch of badass sounding Hemi's rolling around here!

:rck: :rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:
Now I feel so inadequate , I don't have a Hemi :IDEA:

·
USAF MOPAR MILITARY BRAT
3,441 Posts
Sucks!! Wish I had one! :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 05 QC 1500 4X4 a few weeks ago. I installed the jet chip stage II a gibson cat back 3" single pipe and modified the induction to a less restrictive and cooler uptake. I run the interstate system at 75 mph 2K rpm's and this dang thing drones so bad I can't hear the radio. I wouldn't put a gibson exhaust on anything again.
I did increase the mpg's 2.7. Has anyone used a muffler blanket of some sort to kill the drone??

·
Registered
253 Posts
Which Gibson system did you use, and where does it exit. My Gibson system is extremely quiet. It might be how you modified your intake. If you took off the intake resonator (the big black box on top the engine that says either “4.7 Magnum” or “5.7 HEMI”) than you will have more noticeable engine sound. Put the resonator box back on, when a high flow filter directly attached to the box and you’ll have a better system than stock, with less engine sound in the cab.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.