DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock exhaust is in need of replacement.

I've been doing lots of research, and it sounds like most of you guys are running the Magnaflow muffler with good results. I love the Flowmaster sound, but it sounds like the Magnaflows flow much better, and will give better overall performance.

I was a quite exhaust while cruiseing (about as loud as stock), but something with some volume to it when I get on the gas pretty hard. I don't want any anoying droning in the cockpit while towing or on roadtrips.

Has anyone taking the stock muffler and silencer off and went with a Magnalow with a turndown right in front of the rear axle? How's it sound?

Got any pics of "dumped" exhausts so I can see how you guys are doing the mounting?

Any other info would be great. Thanks!

:D

·
TUNED??? its an 03!
1,287 Posts
Yeah, I have that set up. However I am at work right now and dont have any pics of the exhaust. I have had it done for 5 years now and have never thought of doing it any other way. Has a great tone while idling (not to loud, not to quite) and at WOT, I have been told that it sounds like it runs cutouts.

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great! Thanks for the info.

What about when you are just cruising on the highway at 65-76mph? Any droneing?

Why Magnaflow muffler are you running? I got on the Magnaflow site and it looks like they have a bunch to choose from.

Any more details and pics would be great!!

Thanks again for the help! :D

·
2013 Sport
610 Posts
I had a Magnaflow exhaust for the last two years, dumped before the rear end, just like you are describing. No drone, good sound throughout the rev. Then, a month ago my rear O2 sensor went, and to keep it short, made a lot of stuff go haywire, which shot the converter, which meant I needed to replace it. So I just went (way) ahead and replaced the entire exhaust from Y pipe back to a high flow cat, to a 3" pipe back to a single in Flowmaster 40, double dumped. (I just like Flowmaster....my opinion). But Magnaflow makes a good sounding muffler that you will like. Anyway, feel free to check out my gallery, there is a pic of my exhaust in there to give you an idea. Best of luck.

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
Sam, (sawcut64) might have some pics of is. He had a single dumped then went to a true dual whe he staggered the mufflers to get closer to equal length per bank.

·
Banned
3,572 Posts
on my 4.7l i have a medium size 2.5 in/out magna welded in place of stock muff and at idle and cruising its fairly quiet and a lil bit louder then stock (to normal people its kinda loud just cause it isnt stock) but wot its kinda loud but sounds great. no drone at all what so ever at any spead. you can hear the exhaust in the cab a lil bit but no drone

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exact Magnaflow muffler are you guys using?

Can someone give me a part # on it? Who's got the best deal on them...JEG'S?

·
TUNED??? its an 03!
1,287 Posts
sorry man, I dont have a part number for you, however my muffler is a 3" in and 3" out oval magnaflow. I just went to a muffler shop that had magnaflow and they put it on with the dump for something like $115. If you would like to purchase somewhere else, we do have some really good sponsers here, like Moes Performance and AirRam. Check them out. I am pretty sure that they will have what you need.

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry man, I dont have a part number for you, however my muffler is a 3" in and 3" out oval magnaflow. I just went to a muffler shop that had magnaflow and they put it on with the dump for something like $115. If you would like to purchase somewhere else, we do have some really good sponsers here, like Moes Performance and AirRam. Check them out. I am pretty sure that they will have what you need.
Are the inlet and outlet in the center....or do you have to go with some sort of offset on the inlet/outlet on the muffler?

I'll check with Moe's and see what they have.

Thanks!

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked Moe's and they didn't have a working link for the Magnaflow mufflers.

I found this one at JEG'S.....will it work??

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/11219/10002/-1

Besides this Magnaflow....should I look at one of the FM 50 series mufflers? What will sound the best? What will give the best performance with the least amount of droning?

Thanks

·
13's when its cold out
1,547 Posts
i have sawcuts setup now without cats. sound is awesome, just tad louder than stock. cruising at the speeds posted its very close to stock, just a bit louder.

as sam put it to me, you know its not stock but damn close i would say under 2-2500 rpm. after that it sounds mean. like a muffled cutout. deep and throaty. 3 in and out with one offset. i will try for some sound clips for you? if you want. 12289 magnaflow.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would like to try magnaflow out too just to change things up from my flowmaster just not sure which one to get. lets hear some sound clips

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
you should dump it after the axle...more quieter in the cab and virtually no drone...

Attachments

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have sawcuts setup now without cats. sound is awesome, just tad louder than stock. cruising at the speeds posted its very close to stock, just a bit louder.

as sam put it to me, you know its not stock but damn close i would say under 2-2500 rpm. after that it sounds mean. like a muffled cutout. deep and throaty. 3 in and out with one offset. i will try for some sound clips for you? if you want. 12289 magnaflow.

What are you guys doing after you remove the cats to keep the computer from throwing up a check engine light? Also, I'm assuming that unless you have a buddy that does inspections..... your truck won't pass inspection because the cats are gone. Right?

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
What are you guys doing after you remove the cats to keep the computer from throwing up a check engine light? Also, I'm assuming that unless you have a buddy that does inspections..... your truck won't pass inspection because the cats are gone. Right?
yup, everything you say is correct...tried the foulers, not working in my case...

·
First time Dodge Owner!
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

That's the 30" long Magnaflow.....you are running that instead of the shorter 20" model 11219 ??

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
112 have you tried to put steel mesh in the foulers? that usally does the trick
stuffed mine with steel wool like a stuffed turkey..hehe.. but I think it's more then that, I had to replace one of them with a universal 02 and it's throwin a different code so i think I miswired it...

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
funny thing is...the code goes out at the track since all I do is wot...only when I granny drive does the code come back...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.