DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to put my kid's car seat forward facing in the back of the quad cab. I read the instructions in the manual about putting it in there, and I can't say I am totally confident in how it will work.

Does anyone have a seat mounted in their truck? Care to share pictures? I am most interested in how you get tension on the seat rear tether strap.

Pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
Try pm'ing Lassenloop about this. I know he has a Simpson Racing carseat in his for now. I only rock a booster seat since our youngest is only 5, but I do have another due in Oct. So I guess I will be figuring it out by then. :D

KB

·
Hemi4Me
488 Posts
I've got one in mine. I wanted to put the car seat in the center for added safety and found out that the "latches" were only on the side seats. (Hooking up to one side of each the left and the right is not a good idea either because of the angle the tethers will be at although it can be done) I ended up using the center seat belt to hold the car seat in place and I can get that thing super tight!

As far as the latches go....I think the best way to do this is to get the latches as tight as you can hooked up.....then disconnect them....shorten them a bit....then hook then up again with ALOT of weight and your knee planted in the seat. The top one pretty much the same way.....although I made that one as short as it could go and it is still a bit too loose for my liking.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've found that the child seat sits at a better angle if I remove the headrest. I have a high-back baby seat (racing seat style) and the headrest is in the way and it kind of pushes the baby seat forward. The top tether strap doesn't have to be too tight. It is there to keep the seat from flipping forward in the event of an accident. It just has to be snug. It is the seat/shoulder belt that needs to be set tight as that is the belts that will be doing most of the work. As a side note - check into "seat savers". They are a thick rubber pad that goes between the baby seat and your trucks seat. They really do save a lot of wear and tear on your rides seat covers.

·
Registered
850 Posts
rmcqcc said:
I've found that the child seat sits at a better angle if I remove the headrest. I have a high-back baby seat (racing seat style) and the headrest is in the way and it kind of pushes the baby seat forward. The top tether strap doesn't have to be too tight. It is there to keep the seat from flipping forward in the event of an accident. It just has to be snug. It is the seat/shoulder belt that needs to be set tight as that is the belts that will be doing most of the work. As a side note - check into "seat savers". They are a thick rubber pad that goes between the baby seat and your trucks seat. They really do save a lot of wear and tear on your rides seat covers.
I second that. I have leather and the car seat WILL leave indentations without the rubber mat. You can use an old floor mat, folded in half, in a pinch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a non-Latch car seat in my back seat and I'm not happy with how tight/loose the shoulder belt is. I can't get it to lock with tension... how are you guys getting this center belt tight and hold the tension on it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey guys, If anyone can post some pictures to show positioning that would be great. I just got my new RAM and my little RAM fan is due within the next 6 weeks. This is my first child and I have no idea how to mount this damn car seat. I will go to a local class that shows you, but I want to have some idea before that.
Thanks in advance for any photos.

·
Registered
322 Posts
DodgeVato said:
Hey guys, If anyone can post some pictures to show positioning that would be great. I just got my new RAM and my little RAM fan is due within the next 6 weeks. This is my first child and I have no idea how to mount this damn car seat. I will go to a local class that shows you, but I want to have some idea before that.
Thanks in advance for any photos.
Congrats on the impending arrival. Hope everyone to be healthy and happy. I didn't realize you were talking about a car seat for a new born. Please do as much research as possible into the safety issues with car seats and new borns. I have two kids, and we used a "backwards facing" seat when they were infants. I'm not sure what the recommended age/weight is for putting them in the forward facing seats, but I do know that most experts will tell you to use a rear-ward facing seat now. As a matter of fact, with my second child, the hospital wouldn't release us until we showed them that we had a properly certified seat in the car - yes - they checked the car before my wife and child was released from the hospital.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I took the train to work so, I can't go check this myself right now.... does the center back seat have latch hooks??

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
yea but they are a bitch to get too hard to tighten

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't have any tension on the top strap. I figure it is mostly for keeping the top of the seat from going anywhere. If it moves 3 or 4 inches I'm not that worried.

·
New Vision
1,199 Posts
Mine is in college so....no baby seat. Sorry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got the tension on my son's car seat base buy get in to the rear seat and putting my knee in it and pulling the snot out of the seat belt. Since my some is only 4 months old sorry I can not help with the foward faceing seat. But I will be getting the simpson seat soon. I will let ya'll know then
Peter

·
Registered
211 Posts
hemibass said:
yea but they are a bitch to get too hard to tighten
I see the top strap but, I don't see any bottom loops like on the sides. Are you guys running the side latch straps from the center seat, out to the side seat loops?

·
Hemi4Me
488 Posts
chrisd0729 said:
I see the top strap but, I don't see any bottom loops like on the sides. Are you guys running the side latch straps from the center seat, out to the side seat loops?
Yes....that's what they are doing.

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
yep center to the sides i like him in the center keeps him from messin up my seat and it gives him more leg room he will need it i am 6'10 and my wife is 6'2 so he will not be short :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rear faceing seats for infants.I believe it's a law in NY, but sure is recomended by the mfgs.My wifes not here to ask(she's up on all that), but don't put an infant in a foreward faceing seat.Their little necks have no mussles and wouldn't be ready for an impact.Could kill them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hemibass said:
yep center to the sides i like him in the center keeps him from messin up my seat and it gives him more leg room he will need it i am 6'10 and my wife is 6'2 so he will not be short :D
Yeah, they don't have much legroom in the back when sitting in a car seat. My daugter is only 2 and her feet already rest on the back of my front seat console.

·
fish on
2,132 Posts
better the center than messin up my seat

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.