DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed an air/fuel ratio gauge in their hemi? Just wondering if the gauges actually work and what senders they use.

·
Tape On
829 Posts
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure those are used on carburated engines to help with the jetting.

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
I think Autometer makes one...

·
Registered
107 Posts
i'm in the process of putting one on, but not having very good luck. I'm gonna try to get the o2 sensors made from Auto Meter and try that some time this week. I also put trans temp in a dual a pillar pod, looks sweet.

·
11 seconds or BUST!!!
260 Posts
I have an Autometer A/F Gauge. It's not a wideband but it works for what I have right now.

You can't hook this gauge up witht he factory O2 sensors, they run a different voltage than what is required by Autometer. I got an early 90's Chevy Bosch 1 wire O2 sensor from Auto Zone, had a bung welded up next to the exhaust manifold and wired the gauge straight to that O2 sensor. It works great.

Hope this helps.
Later
CS

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
I installed one on my 4.7 about 8 months ago. I ordered a Autometer one and went to Autozone and got a universal one wire o2 sensor. Unless you live in the dead cold all year, you do not need to get a o2 sensor with a built in heater. Mine takes about 30sec to come up to temp. My bung is welded about 8in down in the head pipe on the drivers side manifold. About $25 for the sensor, $40 for the welding and about 20min install time.
Here is a pic of it in a Srt-10 pillar pod.

Now here it is in my triple guage pod...

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You said bung.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I had to have one welded to a set of Hedman headers for my Camaro once.
I asked a friend to "weld my bung for me".
I got a wierd look at first and then it clicked in his brain and he smiled.
He took care of my bung for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the posts guys. Nothing like the smell of bung in the morning!
But since I'm new to all this bung talk what the heck is that? I read a post on here about the whole narrow vs wide band sensor in the 03's and later. SO I kind of expected to have to buy the narrow band sensor but where does it get hooked up to? And is it worth all the work to install? If I don't do the Air/Fuel I was thinking about going with the oil pressure but I'm not sure if that is easier or more difficult either. I'm trying to learn about all this stuff on the fly here. So sorry if I ask dumb questions

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Ok MS Bailo...

If you have a HEMI you are going to have to purchase an additional O2 sensor. The Stock one on the HEMI is indeed a Wideband sensor and doesnt work with the Autometer gauge.

A Bung, is basically a round threaded piece of steel your muffler guy welds into your Exhaust system. this is the piece that the O2 sensor screws into... (And NO jokes about screwing the Bung or Im leaving!!!)

Here is my Autometer A/F gauge in the SRT Pillar. The install is simple and its a pretty neat visual Mod. However, Do not expect it to be of much actual use. Your PCM changes Mixtures and adjusts so fast that trying to do anythying productive based on the gauge reading is pretty much pointless... We call em a "Worm Gear" down here... I Love mine.. Looks bad ass at a stop light at night time!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Silver Bullet.... How do you like the tripple gauge pod? Is it as nice and does it fit as well as the single SRT Pod? I have been considering it, but I have heard its not the best fit... That you have to do some modifications to it in order to make it work?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool thanks for the info, I think it may have even been your thread that got me started on all this. Do you know if the oil pressure gauge needs anything welded anywhere? Some of my buddies said there used to be plugs in the engine block for things like that but I'm not sure if they do that in the newer engines.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Not real Sure bro,

I think some gauges are electrical and run off the harness, and then some actually read the ambient oil pressure... The best thing to do, as I am no gauge expert, would be to look at Autometer's site. They have a KILLER FAQ section and pretty dern good tech support too. Sorry Im not of more help here.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
I had the exhaust guy weld it about 8 inches toard the engine on the same side as the existing O2 sensor. Took him 5 minutes and cost me about $10

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
dskirtech,
The triple guage pod that I have has a great fit. The only drawback is that it does not come with the hardware. Your stock bolts will be too short. I had to learn this the hard way. I went to Home Depot and bought what I thought would be the right size bolt and threads. When I went to put it in, it went well for about 2in. then all of a sudden the brass insert that it screws into starts to spin in the hole. So now I have a bolt that sticks out 4in from the pod and cant get it out. I have tried to pull the insert out but alas it is permanent. So now I have to cut the bolt inside to pod and use sheet metal screws to hold it in.

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
msbailo,
I have a oil pressure and water temp gages also in my triple pod. The water was super easy as there was a plug already on the motor where the upper radiator hose meets the motor. Just took the plug out, put pipe tape on the threads and snugged it down. No leaks so far and pretty accurate numbers.

As for the oil pressure Gage, I removed the stock oil sensor from the oil filter mount and put a 3" brass nipple and brass tee on and plugged the stocker in and my sender. Again no leaks. Use caution for the sender as it is very close to the serpentine belt. Need to tie back wires very well so they dont get snagged up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nice...did you have to drain any fluids before you put the sensors in? The triple pod is very cool, I just dont want to lose the little handle so I'll probably stay with the srt pillar.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Our trucks sensors are based on a 5 volt system. Most a/f meters are based on 1 volt. We installed one for a customer using a simple center tap pot and adjusted it to match our wideband meter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.