Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just doin some thinking..

i cant afford wheels right now, so im painting my 20" clads black tomarrow.. but i also found a 3" rough country lift for dirt cheap and am most likely going to be picking that up..

question i have, is if i get some 305/55/20's would that be a wide enough tire, or could i go wider/taller..

i was thinking about putting like 1.5" or 2" wheels spacers.. actually they would be "adapters" but .. do that to get the tire to stick out a little more since i wont have a deep dish rim, with better back spacing..

pics if possible would be great!

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
just doin some thinking..

i cant afford wheels right now, so im painting my 20" clads black tomarrow.. but i also found a 3" rough country lift for dirt cheap and am most likely going to be picking that up..

question i have, is if i get some 305/55/20's would that be a wide enough tire, or could i go wider/taller..

i was thinking about putting like 1.5" or 2" wheels spacers.. actually they would be "adapters" but .. do that to get the tire to stick out a little more since i wont have a deep dish rim, with better back spacing..

pics if possible would be great!
you only need 1/4" spacers to run 305's on 06-08's with the stock wheels, or does the lift change things?

Now for my opinion about spacers 1.5-2" think. As stated above supposedly it does put more strain on the front end parts, but also I think they are not "street" legal in most states. I had 1.5" spacers on my explorer and I had nothing but problems. Studs snapping - studs stripping in the spacer and then having to have the wheels torched off. Always had a vibration on the highway

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
intresting.. thank you for the help guys
did somebody tell you that you need spacers that big or were you just wanting the look of them sticking out from the fenders?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am also thinking about using spacers, and would like to hear from someone who is using them. I only want to use 1.25" spacers though. If they are bolted up properly with loctite, they should not come loose. I realize that they will put more strain on front end parts but it can't be much more that offset wheels. I know my bro has been running them on his jeep for the last 20K without problems, and the difference in the look of his jeep is great. Just looking to get some feedback......

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
I use them on the rear of my truck to even out the track, front to rear. It was off because of the Chevy rear and the Ford front. My truck gets a sound beating most every time it goes out and i have had no issues. Like was said already, a heavily offset wheel is the exact same scenario as far as strain is concerned. The key is to get a quality product, mine were built to spec for my application. Ebay isn't the place to pick up wheel spacers. fwiw

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys.. no.. no one told me to get that big.. i just want a little bit of tire sticking out..

i used to work at discount tire and we always were told to stay away from these, and we woudnt touch cars that had them on..

but im not mud boggin, and im not launching at the track.. so i dont see how much strain it will put.. and good point about the offset wheels being the same..

i dunno.. would like to see some pics......

·
Buckeye Big Horn
253 Posts
I run the 305 x 55's on my stock 20's. Only needed the 1/4" wheel spacers. Seriously, I get a nice stick out on these tires. IT looks good and sprays the side of the truck with mud and rain all the time. Probably all you need. Here are some pictures.

·
Buckeye Big Horn
253 Posts
NICE! Thanks for the pics!.. huge help!..
No problem. I have been real happy with my wheel spacers. Run the truck on the highway at 80 and have had them on for 6 months no with no troubles.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
who do you take it to when it needs to be rotated/balanced?

thats my only issue.. i know discount tire wont touch anything with wheel spacers.. so i dunno

·
I RECOMMEND FUKKEN WAX
13,989 Posts
I take it to the garage with a couple of jackstands and do it myself.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
i have a set but they are 1/2" studs .... they are 1.5" thick... they are not ebay adapters

·
You've been Hijacked
14,746 Posts
You can rotate them yourself......and your wheels don't need to be balanced every time you rotate them.

·
Buckeye Big Horn
253 Posts
Wheel spacers stay on the studs on the axle. they are not attached to the wheel at all. In fact they are loose, until you tighten down the nuts.

I have to rotate my own tires. Since these big wheels need rotating a lot, I just do it every time I change the oil. Discount tire won't touch them as you suggested. For the first mounting, I had to drop off the stock tires/wheels at discount, have them mount and balance the new rubbers, and take them home to install on the truck. Funny leaving my big old truck on jack stands and wood blocks without any tires for a day. Looked like someone robbed me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i hear that.. mine was on stands allll day this sunday while i was painting the wheels.. made me sad when lookin at it like that =[

... LOL

·
1 TIM 6:12 Fight RIGHT!!
2,160 Posts
OK Firefighter where are the promised pics of the rims!!!!! You are making everyone sick with anticipation..............

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.