1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
1,892 Posts
looks like a good idea

· Ramman
1,598 Posts
Looks like a good idea, but,,

What if, over a period of time, the metal particles that have all been caught by the magnet break free. Kind of like a clog, braking free. Would not “all those particles” pose more of a threat in a glob, then if they had gone through just a few at a time over that same period of time?

Just thinking. But now my head hurts, so I’m done for now.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts

· Great View
1,049 Posts
Why don't you just goto a Fleet farm store (farm supply) and get some cow magnets and stick those on, they are strong and are going to be alot cheaper. (cow magnet: a magnet that is put down a cows throat and sits in their stomach and catches all metal that they eat i.e. nails, wire)

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
piper18 said:
Why don't you just goto a Fleet farm store (farm supply) and get some cow magnets and stick those on, they are strong and are going to be alot cheaper. (cow magnet: a magnet that is put down a cows throat and sits in their stomach and catches all metal that they eat i.e. nails, wire)
hahaha ... Thanks what I used on my mom's Buick. Her dad was the head vet and herdsman for Price’s Dairy here in the southwest before Mr. Price sold the dairy to El Paso and they used the land for the El Paso Community College. It’s too bad to cow magnet broke and fell off the car. That’s how I came about finding the web site I posted; I was trying to find something that wouldn’t break. The magnet was some 20 years old and maybe I just need to get a few new ones.

· Registered
227 Posts
Is that magnet in a location where the oil flowing past it has already been filtered? if so I wouldnt bother with it. In fact im not going to bother with it anyway.

· Premium Member
31,324 Posts
No, I had the thing double zip-tied to the side of the oil filter. When I did fifth or sixth oil change with this setup, the cow magnet had broken in two. I didn't put the magnet back on and I've been looking for something to replace it. I believe I’m going to take piper18 advice and go by the feed store.

· Got 2 Hemis
5,057 Posts
Daking said:
Looks like a good idea, but,,

What if, over a period of time, the metal particles that have all been caught by the magnet break free. Kind of like a clog, braking free. Would not “all those particles” pose more of a threat in a glob, then if they had gone through just a few at a time over that same period of time?

Just thinking. But now my head hurts, so I’m done for now.
I would think that long before that became an issue, the filter would've been changed. That gadget looks cool, but probably won't fit over the nut on the K&N filter. The magnet in the other post looks more practical. I would think the filter material would take out pieces that large anyway.

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
Hmmmm....this got me to thinkin'...what wear metals are inside our motor that would be attracted to a magnet? Do our bearings have that much ferous metal in them? Rings? Just a useless point IMO

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.