DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't believe I have ever seen such a sorry Grill mounting design on my 94 Ram :rck: . I bought it a few weeks ago, and repairing this problem has made it to the top of my list last night. What the _ell were they thinking when they designed the grill?? Least to say I am not impressed!

The plastic mounting tabs on each side were all cracked or completely broke. :VHOT:
I decided to find a good glue and cut 4 peices of 1/8 inch re enforced rubber about 2" x 1", and force it in between the leftover plastic mounting tab and the metal frame. I glued the rubber to the leftover plastic. The grill is nice and tight right now, but if it starts to move/slide, I will drill the holes through the rubber and install bolt, washer and nuts through the existing mounting holes in the mounting frame to keep it from moving.

I believe the rubber mounting is the ticket, cuase it will not be as rigid therefore promoting the plastic mounting tabs to break off (what is left of them)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup! just noticed the broken tabs the other day. How about trouble with the hood latch itself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hood latch and Grille problems

No, :rck: I haven't seen any problems with the hood latch....(Knock on a big oak tree).

·
Registered
240 Posts
Did you have your hood latch done on the recall. I got a letter about it and forgot about it but when I took it in for them to replace my cat they did it. Did not tell me about it I found out by looking at the service slip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hood latch

I just bought the truck a couple of weeks ago, and I dont know its history. I would have to assume it was taken care of.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My trucks grill was fine until last summer, when it was in a small accident. The front grill cracked a little. So i took it to a bodyshop, and they replaced the bumper trim, and the grill. 3 months later the grill broke at the tabs. Took it back to the body shop, and they used a plastic weld, which held for about 2-3months. Just broke again, so the shop is buying a new one. I owner of the body shop called dodge, to see if they have any problem with there grills breaking, but he said there was nothing. The dont know if it was a crappy grill design, or if the mechanic who installed my grill overtightened it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have the same problem with mine but it's only on the driver's side so it hasn't bothered me too much... i've had too many other things to worry about. DODGE = Dead Or Dieing Gas Eater!!!

·
Read Only
646 Posts
Ya my grille fell off too......

Actually I was in a 3 car accident, actually I caused it, actually I ran over a Honda Civic, then rode the Civic into a Sunfire and a Stratus (if I remember correctly).. anywho I totalled all three for a final cost for my insurance company of $37,690. That was just 4 months after they paid me $7000 for when I towed my Mazda into traffic.. but that is another story for another time...

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
My grille was loose too. It was ok at the top, but the tabs on the side are broken. I just raised the hood and drilled four small holes in the bottom of the grille, so the holes would be between the front of the grille and the metal reinforcement. Then I just took some wire ties and ran them thru the holes and around the metal tube, and cut of the excess. Now it's nice and tight, and you don't see anything unless the hood is up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My grille was nice and tight until a hawk flew into the drivers side. Once the cloud of feathers settled, my grille was a little loose. Just broke loose a couple of the plastic tabs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.