DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure it is leaking . I have a 1988 dak that was owned by gte verizon since new . It was retrofitted by them to 134a. a/c was blowing good and cold. That is after i changed out the blower motor and resistor. For the blower motor it was the original and the truck has 145000 miles. The wires that feed it were rubbing on a piece of stamped metal bracket . And they were shorted out. so first I just taped them and buttoned it all up. well after about 3 times of doing this I just bought a new motor for $41. and that cured that. Them the a/c clutch was cutting off and on and not blowing cold on day.So just charge it with 134a but wait. Now you taste 134a in the cab. I didn't need an a/c/ sniffer to tell it was 134a in the air. My throat was sore .So sure it was the evaporator. I degreased all the compressor fitting under the hood and all of the line fittings. Ran it for a day and no leaks under the hood. After doing the blower fan a few times. I am sure I can tackle the heater ,a/c box no problem. I located the part fro 85.00. This is a good truck. 3.9 auto. 8 ft. box reg cab. It's a good worker and tow truck. :rck:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i went to the library and they have a good thick book on just 1988 and 1989 dak. they show a pretty good pic of the heater core. but they don't say how to remove it . then there is another book with all light trucks for the year i need . and it tells how to do it. I just copied the pages and i should be ok.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I changed mine in my '95... didn't remove the heater core. Don't know if the 88-89 has the same ductwork or not. It is worth getting a good evaporator... i got a cheap one and the lid on the ducts still doesn't sit right, causing the cab to be quite drafty.... need to fix that someday!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I changed both the evaporator and heater core in my 87' Dak LE 4x. Using a Haynes Manual, and because it is a little chore, I replaced both and lubed the hinges on the flaps. I had extra weatherstripping. came in handy because the aftermarket parts are not as bulked as the orig parts are.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes i have the haynes manual and I can do the change out. Let me tell you the thing that makes me think the evap. is leaking. First off the 134a is going somewhere.A/c stopped blowing cold one day. So i degreased all the fittings,compressor,hoses til they looked like new. Then i recharged the system. Checking for oil or red dye under the hood i found none. I have this taste in my mouth,like a dryness in the lungs and throat when the a/c is used. I guess i'm my own sniffer.I'll take it to a shop before i replace anything to have it sniffed out, now that it has a full charge in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today i took the lower dash apart. I also removed the duct work. Using a mirror and light i was able to see the entire evap. Hoping to see oily residue from the compressor oil. To my suprise the evap. was pure clean . It looked new to me. I was albe to see it on side the downstream side. You would think if it was leaking you could see some evidence? While duct work was out i used a beach solution and water rinse on all I could. See what effect this has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.