DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed a block heater on my 1500 (the type that you remove the cold plug from under the block and stick it in its place) this summer. I plugged it in for the first time this morning to try her out (it was 35 or so outside). It was only on for maybe half an hour (I know they need longer but I was just checking it out). Anyway, I get about two miles down the road and my temperature gauge pegs and I get the "check your gauges" light come on the dash.

Now there is no way it was that hot and it probably wasn't even up to regular operating temp. at that point. I pulled over, turned off the truck, turned it back on and everything was hunky-dory.

Any ideas? Maybe just a hot pocket going through the system? I am a little scared to use it if I have to deal with this every time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i don't know about that but i do know that a block heater is not designed to warm the engine up from dead cold. it is to be plugged in when u park for the night and the coolant is still warm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed it months ago so I don't think that bleeding it is the issue. And if I have to leave it plugged in all night that would be really annoying and likely offset any savings from having the truck already warmed up. The main reason I got it was because guys on here said they just put it on a timer and it started warming up a few hours before they took off in the morning. I was looking at one the "less glamorous" forms of trying to increase my mileage, which is shiot.

On the bright side it only cost me $15, so if I don't use it, no harm, no foul.
Although I would like to use it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
dieseldoc1 said:
i don't know about that but i do know that a block heater is not designed to warm the engine up from dead cold. it is to be plugged in when u park for the night and the coolant is still warm.
Thats not true

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.