DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried to install gears.pin will not fit past the ring gear.is there a special pin that you put in with one side flat to install pin first, rotate to get axel to slide in enough to put c clip in rotate 180 to push in other axel to install c clip?tech department were i got the gears said to grind a few thousands off one or two ring gear teeth so pin will clear.is this standard install procedure for these gears? thanks for any info mike

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had to grind a little on one tooth to get the pin in my 9 1/4 rear axle 4.56 gear.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Do not grind the teeth.... grind the pin... its cheaper to replace.

YOU want to make sure only ONE surface. DO NOT Grind either of the two surfaces that keep the axles shafts spaced appart. So you when you slid the pin in the axles will not be lose. You kind of want to look at the pin as a square. Top Bottom left and right... The axles shafts will be on the left and right and you can grind either the top or the bottom... just enough to make the clearance needed to slid past the ring gear.... this is a NON stressed part so the grinding will not hurt anything.

If you need a better explenation please contact me and I will go further into detail.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
12,551 Posts
Shaved a tad of the tooth on my ring gear. Make sure you you get the correct pinion depth and tooth contact etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I replaced my gears with 4:56 gears and i ground one of the teeth just enough for the pin to slip by. If you were to grind the pin, you would have to grind the entire side. The area of the tooth that would be ground will not affect the function at all. Grind the tooth, not the pin.

-Rich

·
Registered
632 Posts
you guys are crazy installing 4.56 gears yourselfs haha. I do commend you though....good luck.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I have to agree with Air Ram and Slammed1 ..... Grind the "PIN" if you grind it too much it is cheaper to replace like Air Ram said ..... if you grind the gear and have to have it replaced under warranty later on they will say you caused the problem since you ground a tooth.
Contact Air Ram or Slammed1 (Brian) I know either of these guys will help you and besides I know both of these guys are DT supporters and not gonna steer you in the wrong direction.

Just looked at the thread date ... 5-10-05 this thread was like 7 months ago :WHT:

·
Registered
632 Posts
hahah

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Grind the pin. That's how I installed mine. I had help from a guy that does a lot of off road gear and axle installs. He also said it was the best way. Good luck on your install. Let us know how it went.

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
mitchgmace said:
Grind the pin. That's how I installed mine. I had help from a guy that does a lot of off road gear and axle installs. He also said it was the best way. Good luck on your install. Let us know how it went.
I think you better look at the date this thread was made ... I made the same Mistake and posted and then had to edit my post cause I realized it was 7 months old

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Holy Moly old thread :banghead:

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
LOL... another one back from the dead... But I still feel grinding the pin is the best way to go.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
I would love to get my Grind on..
Mitch, I learned something new about the superchips programmer. I'll have to tell you through an instant messenger because it's a little detailed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.