DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this a long time ago because I was too poor for new gears but I put short tires on a 72 cuda just to go to the strip. Same thing as putting in lower gears. The magnum has about 28" tires. Going to 17" or 16" rims with a 23 to 24" tall tire is like lowering your gear ratio by 15%. Example: 3.0 becomes 3.48 ratio.

Big question: Are there any 16 inch rims that will fit on the wagnum??

I'm thinking about some light weight weld 16" with some low drag radials. Will the ABS or computer get all confused with a 3" difference between the front and rear?

·
Registered
62 Posts
16" rims would not fit over the RT brakes. I don't know how small you can go.
You could get low profile tires for the stock rims.

The ABS will not know the difference IF YOU PULL THE #17 FUSE.

·
Registered
151 Posts
big boy brakes of the R/T
Ain't THAT the truth! Took my buddy around the block the other day, and after a short 'burst' he remarked that 'a car that pulls this hard better have some serious brakes too' - so after the next corner I nailed it hard and then went for a major maximum effort stop..

WHOOO BABY! If you haven't tried this yet, it's something that you just gotta do! Almost as much of a rush as the getting going part.

Mike

http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/

·
AWD is the right way
165 Posts
You could certainly put low profile 18's on and get the effect of lower gears.

However, if you posted a picture of them, everbody would laugh at you, unless you lowered the car 3 inches, then someone whould call it "ghetto" ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
it be great to have a set of low profile tires on an ugly cheap set of 18" rims, just for track day to see what the magnum can do.....and since its just for track day, try to get the low profiles to be drag radials or something. Although I know that there won't be much choice of tires there with 18 inch rims. Are there any 15 or 16 inch rims that are so off set that wouldn't interfere with the brakes? Yeah, it would look ugly as all hell, but as you can see, i just got track day in mind....

·
Registered
82 Posts
17 inch rims on RT

I have 17 inch rims on my RT for snow tires. They are Borbet TS, work fine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shorter Tires

Get the 17 inch rims and 245-35-17 tires (all four wheels), and my prediction is you'll lose a little over a half second in the quarter mile. Lose 450 pounds of weight in the car and you'll lose another half second.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.