DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Hemiless
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going over to the dark side for a while (GM), I'm finally back into a Ram again. This one has 46k on the odometer, and I noticed it's leaking what appears to be power steering fluid pretty bad on the driveway. Is that a common issue?

· Registered
542 Posts
I haven't seen many complaints but I've only had mine
since late 02. Ps an trans use the same fluid right?

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
That happened to my 02.I went to napa and bought a new power steering pump and installed it.I would highly recommend a shop to remove and install the pully,I had a very difficult time with mine.After I bolted it up and all the P.S leak stopped.
Where does your P.S pump leak from? Mine was leaking from where the pump and reservoir meet.

· Hemiless
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is pink like tranny fluid. But I looked up under there and the steering pump looks wet. Is this covered under the 70K powertrain warranty?

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
Big-Red said:
It is pink like tranny fluid. But I looked up under there and the steering pump looks wet. Is this covered under the 70K powertrain warranty?
I wouldn't understand why it wouldn't be.

· Serenity
5,995 Posts
It is also very common for the system to leak from the hose clamps - they are not very good. I followed some tips found here and just replaced the OEM clamps with screw clamps, but you can just put one next to the existing one if you want. I used a dremel to carefully cut off the OEM clamp then put the new ones in place. Been dry as a bone ever since. I can take some pics if you want ...

· Infinite Lives
6,428 Posts
MulesHemi said:
mines leaking, from where the pump and reservoir meet
COuld be 2 things, Your power Steering pump is failing or your O-ring is going bad.There is an o-ring in between there.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
awesome.... guess i wont know till i tear it apart ehh?
shes also leaking coolant... right around the thermostat housing...but i got a new gasket for that. gimme something to do tommaro

· Hemiless
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't had time to see exactly where mine is leaking from. But since it should be covered under the 70K warranty, I'll just let the dealer take care of it this week. Thanks for the replies.

· Registered
348 Posts
The 04's have been known to drip fluid from the power steering hose. Some have corrected it by replacing the clamp. I started losing ATF+4 (do not use universal ps fluid) just short of 36.000 and the dealer replaced the hose.

· Registered
810 Posts
Screw clamp stopped the leak on mine. Took 5 min to install.

· Hemiless
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up putting a new hose on the return line and new screw clamps all around. I *think* I've got the leak stopped now. I sure hope so because the dealer says power steering is NOT covered under warranty.

· Registered
73,362 Posts
A lot of 03's and some 04's came with faulty hose clamps from the vendor supplier. I believe that issue was fixed some time in 04.

· Country Boy
759 Posts
bad hose clamps were the problem on my truck. Put worm gear clamps on and you will be all set

· GangstaHic
1,231 Posts
i switched over to the 22 inch srt-10 rims and i now have a power steering leak. I noticed it on the lift last night when i was getting my buddy to weld my cherry bomb on.

· TWEAKED 4.7
4,319 Posts
you also might want to do what i did...add Lucas leakstop PS fluid...it worked for my racknpinion leakage

· Registered
39 Posts
my 04 is leaking...prob have dealer fix

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.