DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any tips to keeping cooler this summer...

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  duranged03 
#1 ·
i recently had my coolent flushed and put in a new t-stat and my temp gauge is still reading close to 210 degrees. the needle is pointing right in the middle of the #2. and living here in Arizona, i'm afraid of over heating especially w/the a.c. on. does anyone have any tips to keeping the D cooler.
thanx in advance

#5 ·
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?

#6 ·
Tstat to 180 and water wetter..... That's the cheapest way

#7 ·
B1G BLEU said:
Are you sure the gauge is accurate?
i believe it is...how could i tell if it isn't?

#8 ·
you'd have to get a gauge you can hook inline with your cooling system (a heater hose tap would be easiest), then compare the #'s.
You should also pressure test the system.
Does your cooling fan roar (as it should) when you start up cold and rev it?
You have a 180 stat already, remove it and see if the truck is cooler. If you don't need heat...

#10 ·
whats this watter wetter? and i remember there was a mod i could do to the A/C to make it colder i think????

#11 ·
water wetter is made by Redline. Its a coolant additive that is suppose to aid in the water's ability in transfering heat away from the engine....I've used it in my turbo drag car's....basically for piece of mind...can't say for sure it made a positive difference, but I know it didn't hurt.
I believe the ac mod is installing a heater valve...or basically cutting off the flow of coolant to the heater. You'd have no heat, so this would be only a summer mod and only if you're in a very hot climate such as AZ.

#12 ·
i'm in NY, is this mod reversible, or maybe like a valve i can to turn it on or off?

#13 ·
bleu,
my truck does roar everytime it starts up...especially when it's cold.

Hercules,
temp w/out ac-205-210
temp w/ac-210-225
these are #'s off the gauge

#17 ·
J_C said:
bleu,

Hercules,
temp w/out ac-205-210
temp w/ac-210-225
these are #'s off the gauge
Assuming you have no leaks...not losing coolant lets look a couple of things. One you could pressure check the system...make sure the radiator cap is the correct psi cap and not leaking. From there if everything is fine...the only thing left is the radiator itself. Has the coolant been changed on a regular basis? Has distilled water been used to mix with the coolant or tap water??? If tap water has been used, there is a good chance your radiator has corrosion or heavy scale buildup decreasing its efficiency. In that case your only option is a new radiator and make sure you get the largest available...ie the one used in the towing option.
There's not much magic in the cooling system...if you have no leaks, the water pump is spinning, the thermostat is opening fully, all that is left if the truck is still getting hot is the radiator can't handle the heat....its blocked or too small.

#19 ·
J_C said:
bleu,
JC, that's good, if I start it and don't drive it for a couple of minutes, when I take off it sounds like it's got 1000hp and it's in low.

does it run cooler when you are driving at steady speeds?
You need to get the other stuff checked, too.

#20 ·
Stay in the air conditioned house. :D

#21 ·
so anyone got more info on this cooler A/C thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.